+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Frozen RO

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Shelburne MA
    Posts
    212

    Default Frozen RO

    I accidentally left my RO bucket out in a storage shed during the hard freeze last night. I had intended to leave it there only temporarily after my last boil. What kind of damage should I check for? Is it likely to pass sugar now? Thanks for any advice.
    55ish taps
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    RB15 RO Bucket
    Stihl 044 and 026

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Covington, New York
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    I guess I would check flows rates to see if they match what you had before, and check the permeate to see if sugar is going through.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons made
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons made
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons made
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons made
    www.wnybass.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    I accidentally left my RO bucket out in a storage shed during the hard freeze last night. I had intended to leave it there only temporarily after my last boil. What kind of damage should I check for? Is it likely to pass sugar now? Thanks for any advice.
    make sure its thawed before you try to run it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I screwed up and froze my membranes last winter. They seemed to work fine this spring. I checked with my hydrometer and sap went from 2% to 6% and permeate was 0%. Definitely check them before throwing them out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Shelburne MA
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REL View Post
    I screwed up and froze my membranes last winter. They seemed to work fine this spring. I checked with my hydrometer and sap went from 2% to 6% and permeate was 0%. Definitely check them before throwing them out.
    Will do. Thanks everyone for replying
    55ish taps
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    RB15 RO Bucket
    Stihl 044 and 026

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Westfield, NY
    Posts
    177

    Default

    If you have the RO bucket and think it maybe still frozen. Place it in a bathtub of warm water and let it sit to thaw over several hours or overnight. Most likely it is fine. those plastic housings are tough.
    backyard hobbyist
    2014 - roasting pan on 55 gallon barrel -1 gallon syrup 6 taps on buckets
    2015 - added blower to door -3 gallon syrup 10 taps on buckets
    2016 - 3 gallon syrup and 2 lbs. sugar 16 taps on buckets
    2017 - new Mason 2x3 w/AUF shooting for 20 to 30ish taps and more sugar
    2018 - did not boil
    2019 - Added RO, sudo 8x8 sugar shack, 72 taps
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Shelburne MA
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post
    If you have the RO bucket and think it maybe still frozen. Place it in a bathtub of warm water and let it sit to thaw over several hours or overnight. Most likely it is fine. those plastic housings are tough.
    I was worried that the ice might destroy the membranes. I'm planning to boil this evening so I'll see how it behaves.
    55ish taps
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    RB15 RO Bucket
    Stihl 044 and 026

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Canton, Maine
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I forgot my 2 membranes (4×40) in the sugarhouse last fall in the storage tubes, and didn't remember they were out there until a week of subzero temps. They were frozen SOLID but let them thaw and are working fine this spring. Running it with ice in them is what will kill them real quick.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts