+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple jelly

Default Maple jelly

I want to try a batch of maple jelly tonight as I have had a few requests. I found the recipe on the maple handbook but was wondering what to do to prep my containers. I got brand new jelly jars and lids. Thanks Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Just make sure they are clean. Do not go over syrup concentration as the jelly will crystalize just like syrup.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Not sure at what temp you pack jelly but if it's not above 180F then you will need to sterilize the jars, either by heating in the oven or immersing in boiling water for 2 min. I assume with jelly you're not going to want to invert them so you will probably need to sterilize the jars anyways so that the area above the jelly level is sterile. Ditto with the lids. Bacteria love sugar so if you leave any alive inside the sealed jars they will happily multiply! Of course if it's really good jelly it might get consumed long before that can happen!!
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

[QUOTE=BCPP;370066]Bacteria love sugar so if you leave any alive inside the sealed jars they will happily multiply!/QUOTE]

I thought the reason syrup never goes bad, even once open, is because of its high sugar concentration. Though, yes, when I bottle, I heat my bottles and invert to sterilize.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Sugar + water + bacteria+air = growth! Syrop will grow mold on the surface. Is usually a very slow process because there is little air inside the bottle and generally very few spore, even if you dont invert. There are also anaerobic bacteria that dont need the air! Over the years I've opened several bottles to be greeted by a mold on the surface or, even more appetizing, slime mold that turns it into a slime!
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

As far as temp for packing, you need to boil off the water used to mix the Genugel in and I pack it when it reaches the same temperature as the syrup was at to start.
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Thanks for all the replies i have been too busy to try it yet.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Default Problems with making maple jam

Not having much luck with making maple jelly. Today I used 1/2 gal of syrup, 2 cups of water with two teaspoons of gentertel mixed in with aid of blender. Heated up to 220. Skimmed. Kept on low heat (not going over 220) and then skimmed off the foam, and poured into clean hot jars and water bath for 10 minutes. It is running in most of the jars. Looks like I am going to have to reheat and add more gentergel but how much? This is my second batch and still not getting it right. It has only been couple of hours but normally when making regular jelly if it not does not set in couple of hours it will probably not. Advise please...

I add the 2 teaspoons of Genugel to 3 cups of water and use a whisk to blend it. Give it 10 to 15 minutes to dissolve whisking it a little every few minutes. Try a Tablespoon on the next batch and if it is too thick you can blend it with a thinner batch and reheat. I tried mixing the Genugel with a small chopper and it did not work well.

It may seem a little thin warm but check after cooling in the fridge and find the consistency you like. Grade of syrup can also affect it.
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread