+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Long, Lovibond Grading Kit

Do you need to buy extra vials for grading,or just work with the three that comes with it? Wish I’d seen this before I bought new Lovibond few years back for $400.00
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    My Lovibond has been in storage for years. You can buy a Hanna and a temporary kit together for less money than a replacement vial for the Lovibond. I would need to buy a color wheel for my Lovibond if I were to use it again. That's not cheap either.
    I know! I priced the new wheel, and might as well get the whole thing!
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I've just used the vials that came with the Hanna. Just one all the time actually, til one broke. I do save samples from every barrel, but in a typical sample jar (much cheaper).

I like the accuracy and objectiveness of the Hanna, but sometimes there are shades that give some "false" readings, I think. Or maybe it's just the subjective opinion of color checking. But I've sold barrels that tested in low 70s with the Hanna, only to be graded Golden by the buyer using Lovibond. Pleasant surprise! So they may have been wrong, but if anything the Hanna is harder on samples than other systems, I think. And buyers typically don't have the time to test with something like Hanna checkers.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Quote Originally Posted by sapman View Post
    I've just used the vials that came with the Hanna. Just one all the time actually, til one broke. I do save samples from every barrel, but in a typical sample jar (much cheaper).

I like the accuracy and objectiveness of the Hanna, but sometimes there are shades that give some "false" readings, I think. Or maybe it's just the subjective opinion of color checking. But I've sold barrels that tested in low 70s with the Hanna, only to be graded Golden by the buyer using Lovibond. Pleasant surprise! So they may have been wrong, but if anything the Hanna is harder on samples than other systems, I think. And buyers typically don't have the time to test with something like Hanna checkers.
    I've got a sample in my Hanna test kit right now that measures 74%. By the percentage scale it should be graded as Amber. When I put it in the temporary kit it's clear to see that it is in fact Golden. I too have brought syrup that I graded as Amber with the Hanna to Bascom's and had them grade it as Golden using the Lovibond.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12