+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Long, Lovibond Grading Kit

Default So Long, Lovibond Grading Kit

Well, it happened. I broke the glass vial for the Lovibond permanent grading kit. Actually, my wife broke it, but I had left it on the counter to dry. I knew the replacement was expensive. If I had to guess a number I would have guessed $50-$75. That would be really expensive for a 25mm glass vial. It's $125 at Bascom's.

The whole kit was $260 when I got it at a discount in 2015. They are $295 now. The glass is $125 of that.

So long, Lovibond. You priced yourselves out of a sale.

I just ordered the Hanna Checker for $59.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Your really going to like the hanna checker .

I agree, you will definitely like it.
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

We got ours when the Hanna meter first came out. Love it.

We have used the Hanna for about three years and it works great. Our local high school has a sugarhouse and a lesson on making maple syrup and they use the Hanna.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

My Lovibond has been in storage for years. You can buy a Hanna and a temporary kit together for less money than a replacement vial for the Lovibond. I would need to buy a color wheel for my Lovibond if I were to use it again. That's not cheap either.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

The Hanna makes it so easy. Just taste to confirm the taste is right for that color and use the Hanna. No guessing to it. Under other methods it takes training to get the grade designation right if the color is near a break point, Hanna removes the doubt.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I've tried it out and I have to admit, it is very easy to use. The price just sweetens the decision. I'm reading the precautions about air bubbles, streaks, etc. throwing off the accuracy. I'll do my best, but how sensitive are people finding the device to be - or challenging to keep the vials clear after multiple uses?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I've tried it out and I have to admit, it is very easy to use. The price just sweetens the decision. I'm reading the precautions about air bubbles, streaks, etc. throwing off the accuracy. I'll do my best, but how sensitive are people finding the device to be - or challenging to keep the vials clear after multiple uses?
    I believe the accuracy is within 4%. When I get a sample that is within a point or two of a borderline, like a reading of 74%, I put a sample in my temporary kit and look at it in the daylight. What it looks like in the temporary kit and the flavor will help me determine the actual grade.

To avoid streaks I test my syrup cold. Careful pouring practically eliminates air bubbles. Water marks on the inside just blend in with the syrup and have little if any effect on the reading. I clean the vial really well on the outside to eliminate any dirt or fingerprints and reuse the vials several times.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    We have not had a problem. I make sure to keep enough clean bottles for samples (we keep one sample from each batch through to the end of the year). Our first batch tested at 48%....my Dad and I used the visual comparison grading kit and thought it would be Amber Rich....nope 50% is the cut off to change to Robust. The flavor was great. I know there is a 4% error with the Hanna kit...maybe the second test would put it over 50%. Nope still 48%. It has always produced repeatable and reasonably consistent results.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast