+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sap a little cloudy... boil?

If you only used paper on your last filtering that us where your problem is.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Thanks for the input. If my problem is sugar sand not being filtered through orlon. Should I reheat, dilute with distilled water or some almost syrup heat back up to 7 degrees higher than boiling, filter through paper and orlon then bottle?
    Would this be my best attempt to clear up? Or since it is at 67.5 brix(tested today)heat to 180 and filter through paper and orlon and bottle?

I appreciate the insight,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tpathoulas View Post
    I am so happy to see this thread as I have a problem with my syrup and I wonder if it is related to cloudy sap.
    I finished collecting and cooking about 1.5 weeks ago. My last collection I collected about 300+ gallons and had some cloudy, not bad smelling, tasted fine sap. I talked to an experienced syrup friend he said cook it. I did. As I have been bottling this last batch I am having a problem with some particulate matter floating in my bottles and it eventually settles to the bottom. This syrup has been filtered off the evaporator through paper and orlon, filtered again through paper and orlon and cooking little closer to finished. Then, filtered through paper after reaching proper brix. I think some may think it is over-filtered. I have even dumped reheated and filtered a 4th time, but I still have the same problem. I thought it was sugar but I have added sap and re-cooked to have the same problem. When bottling at first it seems clear but as the syrup cools the particulate forms and is suspended in the syrup.
    Is this sugar?
    Is this bacteria?
    If none of the above, what the heck do you think it is?
    The syrup has a nice maple flavor. My unrefined taste does not detect any off flavor. And for as much as I have taste tested I'm still feeling good(physically) (emotionally my syrup has me down but that's another story).
    Thanks for your help,
    Tom
    Classic Niter in the syrup. Looks clear at first, then it precipitates out and gets cloudy. Leave it long enough and it will settle to the bottom.

You need to reheat to just under boiling and filter hot through an orlon and put it directly into your bottles while still above 185. No reheating after filtering. It doesn't matter how many times you have filtered it previously - if you heat it again, more niter will form.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Tom,
    (sorry for derailing this thread even more) Just to clarify what Big Eddie is saying. If you heat clear filtered syrup to near boiling, over 210 F, your probably going to have niter again. So you would need to filter again. But, if you have it filtered and clear and then want to bottle it, just heat it to 180 F, bottle it and the niter won't form at that lower temp. And yes the paper filters will not remove all the niter.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input.
    Do you think I should heat, dilute, get up to Brix again, filter with paper and orlon, bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by tpathoulas View Post
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input.
    Do you think I should heat, dilute, get up to Brix again, filter with paper and orlon, bottle?
    No point diluting. It's already at the correct density. Just bring it up to a boil and pour directly into an Orlon filter with 2-3 pre filters inside. Bottle hot.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

+ Reply to Thread