+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bulk price

The " " indicated a few individuals that make very little syrup, buy at cheap bulk, repackage with their label and resell. Nothing illegal but their equipment is more of a facade than anything else. A good hint is the people that don't sell larger than a quart of syrup. That's because the margin is too small on gallons and half gallons when you are buying the syrup rather than producing it yourself. Again nothing illegal just not real "producers" in my eyes.
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

We're planning to scale up to where bulk could make sense. Questions are mostly about logistics. What size barrels do you use? And when you sell the syrup, what happens to the barrels? Do the buyers empty syrup into their own barrels or are they buying the barrel, too? Or do they track barrels by who sold it and then return it later?
    Thanks
    12x40 sugarhouse, 2x6 Leader drop flue wood fired, 514 taps with plans for more

Quote Originally Posted by javahill View Post
    We're planning to scale up to where bulk could make sense. Questions are mostly about logistics. What size barrels do you use? And when you sell the syrup, what happens to the barrels? Do the buyers empty syrup into their own barrels or are they buying the barrel, too? Or do they track barrels by who sold it and then return it later?
    Thanks
    Bascom's prefers 15 gallon or larger barrels but will take 5 gallons jugs too. On the 15 gallon and up barrels you drop them off, they empty them and you go back and pick them up. They put your name on a board and what you dropped off for barrels. On the 5 gallon jugs they empty them while you wait but pay 5 cents per pound less for your syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by backyardsugarer View Post
    The " " indicated a few individuals that make very little syrup, buy at cheap bulk, repackage with their label and resell. Nothing illegal but their equipment is more of a facade than anything else. A good hint is the people that don't sell larger than a quart of syrup. That's because the margin is too small on gallons and half gallons when you are buying the syrup rather than producing it yourself. Again nothing illegal just not real "producers" in my eyes.
    Around here, Anderson's maple syrup made a big name for themselves doing exactly that. Spun a real nice yarn on the bottle about staying up late cooking syrup under the full moon, when they hadn't lit their cooker in years.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Around here, Anderson's maple syrup made a big name for themselves doing exactly that. Spun a real nice yarn on the bottle about staying up late cooking syrup under the full moon, when they hadn't lit their cooker in years.
    Anderson's and the people backyardsugarer are talking about sound like some smart businessmen.ha

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Anderson's and the people backyardsugarer are talking about sound like some smart businessmen.ha
    Well, last I checked, you don't get your name on a Nascar truck for free, so yeah, I think Anderson's is doing alright for themselves...
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

It sure beats the hard work of making the stuff at $22 - $24 a gallon bulk. Not really, I enjoy the process and would never sell anything I did not make myself.
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

Got a flyer for the CDL open house in Lancaster found it interesting they are buying bulk this year. But only full drums.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Looks like the U.S. crop turned out alright...

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/s...87EZB6qeQOvaC0
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Story matches well what we've been hearing. Haven't heard a lot out of Quebec as yet. There is an IMSI meeting next week, so we should have a better sense of 2019 production region-wide after that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast