+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auf questions. Don’t have it. Wonder if I need it

Default Auf questions. Don’t have it. Wonder if I need it

I have a 2x5 evaporator with a hood and we are boiling about 7-8 gallons per hr . With no preheat. I’ve now added a hood and copper pipe in the hood for a pre heater. I’m wondering how would I add the auf and also what time of fan would I buy if I don’t have power In my shack.

If you have no power and do not have a generator (or prefer the quiet) try raising the height of the stack. Generally 10' would be used, but 12' or 14' will increase the air flow to make it burn hotter and no genny noise.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you feel like investing in a small solar set up you could run a 12v blower fan. I picked one up that was used in a giant green house between the two sheets of plastic. It's only like 140cfm but it runs off my 100ah battery for the whole evening of boiling and is ready to go again by the time I get back to boil the next day. (Weather permitting) it's a a little cheaper than a generator, a lot quieter and it's just more green. Not sure how much more efficient it made my evaporator, but you can sure hear the difference in the firebox when the blower is going.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I dont know if you need one but many people have added AUF and after the difference they saw they will never go back. Figuring how to run one on with out power will be your biggest hurdle but others have made some good suggestions.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Milbags View Post
    I have a 2x5 evaporator with a hood and we are boiling about 7-8 gallons per hr . With no preheat. I’ve now added a hood and copper pipe in the hood for a pre heater. I’m wondering how would I add the auf and also what time of fan would I buy if I don’t have power In my shack.
    Lots of variables. A 2x5 can do a lot better than 7-8 gallons an hour even on natural draft.
    Is this a flat pan, or do you have a flue pan?
    What size wood are you burning, how dry is it, how often are you firing?
    How much stack do you have and what size?

I would expect a 2x5 flat pan, with 10' of 7" or 8" pipe, fired every 8 mins with dry wood no larger than 4" in any dimension (except length!) to achieve 10gph easily.
    With a flue pan, somewhere in the range of 15-25gph.

However, if you're firing the same evaporator every 15 mins with "stove wood", then 7-8 gph would be typical.

Adding AUF will increase both the boil rate and wood consumption. Anecdotally, it can double throughput without any other changes.
    Last edited by Big_Eddy; 04-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

I was thinking the same thing as Big Eddy. I would look to improve the boiling rate prior to adding any thing. A new local sugarmaker (Scott R.) is boiling on a 2 x 6 (with a AUF) at 50 gallon per hour. I would think with natural draft you should be at 25-30 gph??
    Thinks like stack height and features, wood type, size and dryness can be factors. Cold sap being added can slow down the boil too.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

just get a stationary bike to power a fan using a belt. Open it up at a fitness center and people will pay you to run it. lol
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

As of now I have a custom setup. I got a wood stove and cut the back off and extended it with a 6 inch c Chanel and then tapered the ramp from 3.5 to 1 inch. I did boil with no preheated and worked good. I’ve not got the hood done and got copper pipe in their to preheat the sap. But I don’t think it’s gonna get me 20 gph Any suggestions. I’d love to put a picture in this thread but have no clue how to do that. Could I email it to someone

You say the back part tapers from 3.5" it 1", do you have it insulated to finish at that space or is it just the bottom getting closer to the pan?
    You can email me a picture or pictures to: dave@cnymaple.com I will look at them within one day (busy time of year).
    You say you cut the back off for making the extension, does you pan set just on 1/4-3/4" ledge and the rest is all open to the heat? If part is setting on the original stove top you will loose too much of the potential heat transfer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Also, if this is a flat pan with no flues you mileage is going to vary a lot.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast