+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check valve vs other style taps

Question Check valve vs other style taps

What is everyone doing with there taps.
    I'm using leader check valve
    But quite expensive...
    Need to change drop lines this year..wondering what tap to use.

I've used check valves since they came out. Good results. Changed drop lines for this year and used CDL signature spouts. Looks like I'll have about the same yield as usual. But I've noticed the runs seem harder than ever. Ive gotta think the angle of the spout and no restriction does yield more sap per run. But obviously the question is, if I hadn't changed drops, would the hole be drying early due to bacteria.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I have tried a lot of different taps over the years . The check valves and the clear seasonal taps all gave me the same results . Season starts - Season ends . I am speaking for my situation and location . I change drops every 3 years . I am thinking of trying ( Smokey Lakes ) 5/16 stainless steel taps , on his site he is offering them for $42 per 50 . My concern is how large the rib is for holding the drop .

I used leader check valve adapters, Lapierre clear spouts and CDL signature spouts this year. Check valve spouts dried up 2 weeks before the rest, signature spouts gave me trouble with vacuum. I change the drop every year except on the check valve spouts. I'm going to try Zap Bac for some next year.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

In my opinion what is there really to compare to?, year to year is so different even run to run or tree to tree. Some trees run like a faucet and others barly drip. Whoknows why this really happens but I believe that every spile has their good points and their bad points and that we can believe anything we want to believe. In my case, i have found that the clear disposal spiles for .14 cents work great, last all season can see the sap moving, and nothing like brand new every year. Just my .2 cents (or .14)
    Kevin

I started using the check valve adapters when they first came out and switched to the CV2's when they came out. When I first switched I had Lapierre stubbies and adapters in two sections of my woods and check valve adapters in the other. The section on check valves ran long after the other sections quit and when I pulled the taps I noticed that there wasn't much bacteria slime in the check valve section and the other sections were loaded with it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Polycarbonate cdl spouts are hands down the best as far as sealing, cheapest, and I like the angle of the tap as it gets the tubing away fro the tree and gives more room to grab the tap to remove- especially on the thick barked old trees
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by Kh7722 View Post
    In my opinion what is there really to compare to?, year to year is so different even run to run or tree to tree. Some trees run like a faucet and others barly drip. Whoknows why this really happens but I believe that every spile has their good points and their bad points and that we can believe anything we want to believe. In my case, i have found that the clear disposal spiles for .14 cents work great, last all season can see the sap moving, and nothing like brand new every year. Just my .2 cents (or .14)
    Kevin
    Spot on!! There is no year, no two trees, no sugarbush, and no two tapholes that are the same as the other. I've said this from day one, it takes a concious sugar maker who can really understand the results and see them rather than rely on numbers, the numbers can be unreliable, but the "feel and experience"" one gets is not

I will say this- focus on being clean at the tapholes and new spouts and drops!!
    Last edited by blissville maples; 04-01-2019 at 06:00 AM.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Has anyone ever used the DSD star taps before? They look like they would be nice taps but with the reduces tap size makes me worry about decreasing the overall sap yield.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I had been using the cdl signature spouts the last few years and they were fine. I tried ones from h2o this year and I like them a lot. they seal very good in the tree

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast