+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long for to wash cycle?

Default How long for to wash cycle?

My RO has no safety of any sort. I always stay close by to Lee an eye on things but the first wash I did with it took forever to raise in temp. I gave up and shut it down when it hit about 90ish.
    How long do most of your ro' s run till they hit 110 degrees or so?
    Mine's a single 4x40.
    Does anyone heat it up prior or add hot water while it's going?

I heat my wash water up to 110* and run the wash for 10 minutes. It drops about 10* in that time but I have had good results with this method.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

I also have a Deer Run and the directions say to heat the water first. I could see how that would take a while otherwise. The actual wash cycle is 10 minutes.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I also heat it to 105-110 then start the wash cycle. I also run the permeate portion during the wash cycle back thru my tankless water heater, I let it heat until the temp, during the wash gets to 110. As it goes thru the membrane all of the cold in the membrane goes back into the wash tank.
    I do not think the pump used on a Deer Run RO will heat the water very much. That practice is reserved to ROs with a higher operating pressure. Under 300 PSI would take far to long to get to 110 F just by operating the pump. A pump that generates much more pressure heats it much faster according to what I've read. My only experience is with a Deer Run RO.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Makes a lot more sense. I'll give it a try this afternoon. Last time I let it wash for a better portion of the day. Maybe 5 - 6 hrs. It did heat but not much.
    Assuming acid wash is the same right?

+ Reply to Thread