+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Weekend

Default Maple Weekend

Today and tomorrow are our last 2 days of open house Maple Weekend. I have sap, but it will get far too warm today to try to get it to last into tomorrow. I'll need to RO and boil it as fast as I can today, and when it's gone, boil water to finish the weekend. Most likely our next sap will be on Monday, IF the trees have not budded. I will be watching them closely. Going up to 66 F today, 38 tonight and 42 tomorrow. We've had no freeze for 2 nights now and tonight will be the third. Then Sunday night the forecast calls for a freeze.
    I think that should be OK and then the extended forecast looks OK for another week to ten days for here, in central NY. Before last Thursday we had an overnight freeze every night way back to March 16 when it did not freeze just the one night.
    I think the trees will not bud yet even with 66 F today, but I've been wrong before.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave,
    Good luck with your open house. I know how much work goes into the event! Boiling water is a good option too. Will get the rig ready for the big push to the finish next week! Buds are not showing here, you have the same forcast as we do for the week end and into next week.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread