+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap tapping season question.

Jarhead Jim Guest

Default Sap tapping season question.

When should I quit tapping sap from Box Elders in southwest Nebraska. Not finding any info anywhere.... Jim

Soon as sap starts tasting "off" or bitter/sour, sap is cloudy, trees bud out, or sap quits running. All depends on weather which happens first.

Jarhead Jim Guest

Makes sense. Just don't want to hurt the trees. Next year I will be more prepared and have a hell of a lot more trees involved.

Jim

I've found box elders will make bitter/dark syrup when they're done. It'll taste fine at first, then it'll hit you. Boil small amounts down in a saucepan or similar and test it. You'll know when it's done The sap may seem the same as earlier in the year and be perfectly clear.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Jarhead Jim Guest

OK, will find out this weekend as I'm doing a batch. Hopefully it's still good. Sap tastes sweet.

Jim

Jarhead Jim Guest

How did your walnut syrup turn out? Do you still boil it down to 67% like Maple?

Jim

+ Reply to Thread