+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newb to the art.

Jarhead Jim Guest

Default Newb to the art.

Hey all, from southwestern Nebraska and just started making syrup from Box Elder. Started with pots on the stove with disastrous results. Made a large flat tray and did most of the evaporating over a wood fire towards the end result that I did in a large kettle in the stove inside. Did some research on the Internet and this site and that helped a lot but still have questions.... I ordered a sap hydrometer which has yet to arrive. Want to check the sugar percentage on this sap. I believe it is around 1-1/2. 35 gallons of sap got me 2 quarts of syrup. Is this the correct answer? Jim

At that percentage of sugar, it would take 58.6 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. You divide 88 by the percentage of sugar in your sap. This formula is called the Jones Rule.
    I'd say your close.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread