+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maple sapling plantation: is anyone trying it?

no need to apologize, i was just stating. abby van da berg has been a big part in this with tim. from what she said the seal around the sapling was not tight enough and every sapling was a different size. unlike the drill bit for a commercial spile a cup or ring will be a huge challenge
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I'm buying a woods that is pretty dense with maple trees too small to tap yet. 600 taps in total not including the small trees. I've thought about the idea in the past and I believe if you can figure the cap you got a way to produce it. Hope it's not the patented way or set up your own patent. Could make some money! I close on my woods in 2 weeks, need to set up routes and figure out if I'm doing lines or buckets. Sounds like a good time to do some fall tapping for experiment.
    2016 7 taps= 1-2 gallons of syrup
    2017 135 taps making 17 gallons syrup
    2018 75 taps =50 gallons syrup
    2019 70 taps making 20 gallons. Single 4x40 RO
    2020 bought 40 acres installed 250 tubing taps, 100 bags. 70 gal
    2021 500 taps with guzzler. 80 gal syrup + sold sap
    2022 600 taps 27 gal sap per tap on guzzler!!! 110 gal + sold sap

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Apologies for the delay...I've been away for the past 2 1/2 weeks.

The US patent issued in September 2019. https://patents.google.com/patent/US10412906B2 It covers the devices, systems and methods of use. The patent application is still under review in other countries.

We have been conducting further cooperative research the past few years with CDL on improved cap designs.

No further information is available, and no product (sap cap) is yet available. With apologies upfront, I am unable to answer further questions (so don't bother calling, emailing, or posting questions here). However for fun, take a look at the photos below. Top photo is at the end of the summer following our first harvest using this method. We did work at that site for another 3-4 yrs, then we moved on to doing some work in the woods in regenerating stands. The bottom photo is that same original site this fall.

plantation sapling recovery.jpg
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12