+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to have syrup in the pan at less than 219 degrees?

Default Is it possible to have syrup in the pan at less than 219 degrees?

Crazy question I suppose... but with some of my boiling frustrations last weekend, something crossed my mind....
    The front section of my syrup pan, where I draw off, has the least aggressive boil happening... (I'm presuming, because it is closest to the door, and the draft, and doesn't get the full affect of the raging fire below.)
    This is also where I have my thermometer... (right beside the draw off valve)
    I got wondering... Is it possible to be actually creating syrup in the previous section (middle of the pan),... and having it cool down to 214-215 in the last section?
    (((I know.... If I figured out how to use my hydrotherm... I could answer my own question... Maybe this weekend)

Yes, you can have have thinner syrup at the draw-off for the reason you described. Often the gradient takes care of having thinned syrup arrive at the draw off before proper density syrup, but I remember watching a friend operate a 5'X14" and hearing him comment "we're making syrup in the center channel." I think you can still have a consistent gradient on subsequent boils, especially if your raw sap is entering at a steady rate and the it's getting pushed through from channel to channel. What's the configuration of your rig (size, number of channels)?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yes, some partitions can be colder than others. This is especially true around the outer edges of the pan. It may not be that the syrup is thinner, just that it isn't boiling enough to mix well and the temperature is dropping off close to the pan edge.

Move your thermometer out into the middle of the drawoff partition, on the inner wall (the partition division as opposed to the outer wall). You'll get a better (more stable and representative) reading there. Make sure it is 0.25-0.5" above the bottom of the pan. Niter build-up and/or foaming can also cause erroneous readings.

Figure out how to use your hydrotherm and check the density of the syrup you're drawing off to be sure.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr Tim is correct and yes syrup can be different as the heat varies. Sound like you may have a cold spot. Syrup typicall likes to be made at the hottest place on the rig. Get another thermometer and see what other freadings you get in other areas. Make sur it mathces your temp at the current probe location too.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread