+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drop Tubes into Buckets

Default Drop Tubes into Buckets

I am using 5/16" spiles and drop tubes into 2.5gal buckets. should the drop tubes stop near the top of the bucket? Just wondering when the buckets freeze if its not running until the tubes thaw.

Thanks for the Help!

Fireguy,
    The lines will freeze before the buckets. I shoot for two inches or so in the lid if I can help it. I also use 5/16 spiles and tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy124 View Post
    I am using 5/16" spiles and drop tubes into 2.5gal buckets. should the drop tubes stop near the top of the bucket? Just wondering when the buckets freeze if its not running until the tubes thaw.

Thanks for the Help!
    I use the same setup and in my experience it does not seem to be a problem. I’ve had sap flowing into frozen buckets even though the tubing is surrounded by a block of ice. I think perhaps the sugar in the sap melts the ice in the immediate vicinity of the tubing . The the tubing never freezes to the main block of ice.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I cut them shorter so they are not at the bottom of the bucket just in case. Thanks for all the help! This site is awesome!

Same set-up I use,He is right on about 2 inches in lid ,I have also had sap run into frozen buckets

I keep my lines long so that I can adjust as the buckets drop as the snow melts. Long lines also give you more options for where to tap on the tree.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    I keep my lines long so that I can adjust as the buckets drop as the snow melts. Long lines also give you more options for where to tap on the tree.
    I can appreciate this approach, we had so much snow here this year I made sure I shoveled mostly down to bare ground because you would have needed close to three feet of extra hose to accommodate this in most areas. I guess it is more situational. Either way, I enjoy this practice better than traditional buckets as it keeps the product cleaner. Plus we have had a lot of wind this year that have taken many traditional buckets and ripped them off the trees spile and all!

Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

+ Reply to Thread