+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No boil in flue pan

Is the boil in the flue right at the transition of the ramp in the arch. And no further back from there. As for the steam it could be a couple things. The hotter the steam the less visible it is cause its vapor not steam. If that makes sense. That being said if you are evaporating faster you bring in sap faster witch keeps the visibal boil down. The only way to be sure witch way is better is to keep track of your gallons per hour of evaporation.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Doesn't sound like your issue, but sometimes the flue pan partition where the sap or concentrate comes in will boil less vigorously due to the fact that cold liquid is coming in there and has to be heated from around 40 deg F to 212 deg F as opposed to the other side where it might go from 212 to 215 deg F or so.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Going to add another section of pipe today and see if that helps. It certainly seems to boil better without the fan on and the door open. Maybe the fan is too small it’s just a small squirrel cage blower with a 2.25” round opening can’t remember cfm I will have to check when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyacres View Post
    The fan is on a VFD and I have tried it on all settings. We get lots of steam but not a hard boil. It does start boiling a little harder when we shut the fan off and open the ash door. But not nearly as much steam.
    This would indicate that you are getting more air with the ash door open than with the blower. Your blower is too small.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Geysers good. Some pans never get that same action in the back. Your loosing heat as the flames and heat move through the pan length. Mine doesnt boil hard in the back either.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Your fan is too small. If you are going with forced air, your stack height will make no difference. It will only effect natural draft. Those little fans are not enough for a 2x6. When my 2x6 was wood fired, i used a 465cfm blower with a reostat on it. Would go full air immediately after adding to the firebox then back down to about 3/4 speed for the next 5 minutes before adding wood again.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Also, what size do you have your wood split at? Is it essentially wrist size and it the wood dry?
    Any squirrel cage blower I've seen with just a 2.25 inch round exit is way too small to feed that arch. You need more air.
    Rather than that blower you will likely do better just using the vent door, under the grates, open it up at least 6" and see how that helps. That along with the wood dry and split to wrist size will do it, because your stack it tall enough for that arch.
    The space under the flues should be about 1/4" to force the heat up thru the flues.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Most all my wood is wrist size slab wood mixed with some larger hardwood.. keeping the door open and filling every 7 minutes has helped and the syrup is starting to lighten up a bit in color but I think I will order a bigger fan. How many cfm should I be looking for.

Keeping the air vent door open is good, the fueling door open is bad. Which is it? When you add fuel you should have it set up right where it can be put in quickly and get the door closed ASAP. The temperature in the pans drops as soon as you open the door. If you have a double door, open just 1 to fuel, fill that side, the next time open the other and fuel that side. If you have a single door, just be quicker, but be careful not to hit the syrup pan bottom or the flues pan at all. My previous set of pans were second hand and the front of the raised flue pan had dents in it, not real bad but dents none the less. Be careful and quick adding wood.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We keep the ash door open. Any ideas on fan size?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12