+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bernard releaser

Default Bernard releaser

I have a bernard double horizontal releaser, I think its model 216 and I'm having issues with it switching vacuum from one side to the other when dumping. The problem is thats its switching vacuum from one side of the releaser to the other but it's doing it really slowly, I took the part off where the vacuum line connects to the releaser to clean it out good and oiled it up so it slides easy, I took off the air piston? To see if that's causing the problem but that moves freely, I did a couple other things that I thought might be playing a role in the slow transition from one side of the releaser to the other side but can figure it out, any one know what could be the issue? Thanks in advance!

Do you have enough cfms to run it? I didn't have a big enough vacuum line last season and had the same issue.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Bernard releasers are the issue. When I stated with vacuum, I bought 3 Bernard releasers. I had problems with them all season. I sold them and bought Lapierre releasers. Much simpler mechanism. In my opinion, horizontal or vertical, Bernard releasers are nothing but problems.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Bernard releasers are the issue. When I stated with vacuum, I bought 3 Bernard releasers. I had problems with them all season. I sold them and bought Lapierre releasers. Much simpler mechanism. In my opinion, horizontal or vertical, Bernard releasers are nothing but problems.

Joe
    I had the same experience with them. The Bernard I had was a vertical single and nothing but problems. The tripping mechanism was always sticking and lubricating it made it worse. The vacuum valve developed an internal leak and the replacement valve developed the same problem shortly after it was replaced. My final fix was to trade it in for a Lapierre horizontal releaser which has served me well for several seasons.

Ultimatetreehugger may be onto something with the pump not having enough CFM's. If the pump CFM's are enough then the issue has to be in the mechanism or an adjustment or cleanliness issue.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

This is my 3rd year with this releaser and this is my first issue with it. I have a vertical releaser that I've used for 4 years and have had no issue with it whatsoever either. The problem is talerable but not ideal.

+ Reply to Thread