+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone tried a Cheaper Cotton candy machine?

Default anyone tried a Cheaper Cotton candy machine?

I would like to start making some maple cotton candy several times a year, mostly for family and friends. There is quite a range of price tags on different models. For our occasional use I can't see us spending $1,000 on a commercial unit. I am tempted to try a 20" unit that sells for @ $150 - 160 on e bay... it is 1050 watts and is usually pink and says candy floss machine. Anyone have any experience with these? Or has anyone went the economy route with success? A recommendation would also be appreciated.

We bought a Vivo model on Amazon for $180. It may be the same model you are looking at but we got it in blue. It works great and spins out cotton candy very quickly. For the occasional user like I assume you would be, it should be fine.

Thanks for the info that looks like the same unit. What do you recommend for the white sugar to Maple sugar ratio 5:1, 4:1, 3:1?

Never made it but I suspect it will be a cost vs taste trade off and may vary depending on grade of syrop the sugar was made from! At 100% maple sugar the candy's going to taste very maple. Unfortunately you're going to have to make numerous batches and get your kids to judge. I'm sure they will be willing to make the sacrifice!
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

Have not used that machine. In my commercial one I can go 1:1. Usually I do 2:1. Straight maple makes a mess. Would not recommend.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I can't speak to the cheap machines, we use a Gold Medal machine (can't recall the model off the top of my head) we run a 3:1 ratio. Seems to give it enough flavor to make people happy, it is distinctly maple yet not overpowering, and aside from very humid days the ratio keeps things light and fluffy without making too much of a mess. It sounds like you're not looking to get into to make money, but for anyone else who is reading this and considering going with a cheap model for more than just occasional use....I will just say that our setup was ~$1000-1200 and I made my money back in 6-7 weeks at our local farmers market. Not just gross, actual profit which included buying my maple sugar from another producer. I honestly hate making the stuff but it is too lucrative to stop lol
    2013 4 on buckets, kitchen stove/grill
    2014 40 on buckets, Mason 2x3
    2015 150-200 gravity, 20x24 sugarhouse 75% complete
    2016 Can't remember but still on gravity
    2017 70 sap sacks, ~315 on vacuum
    2018 60 sap sacks, 445 on vacuum
    Leader Oil-Fired 3 X 8 w/steamaway
    Deer Run RO 250gph
    Kubota M7040 and a very helpful wife

I honestly don’t know, my partners wife runs it. We just paid for it. She uses a maple flavored floss from Amazon mixed with some of our sugar. I think it’s quite a bit more floss than maple sugar. Will try to remember to ask her this weekend. We have also found it to be very lucrative. We sell for $2 each, they are like $5-7 at fairs. Pretty sure after initial machine investment, it costs about $0.30 to make one so good profit for sure.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 03-27-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks for taking the time help me on this. I plan to order one and try your suggestions on the ratio of the mix.

Do bees become a big issue when making the maple cotton candy?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have the Vortex which is just above hobby level, but not quite the higher end commercial units. I've had to replace the carbon elements which weren't a big deal, but after I replaced the thermostat last year, it doesn't seem to work as well. I think I might jump to a commercial unit. This one has paid for itself.

If it wasn't so popular, I'd give it up in a heartbeat. It's a full time job when I'm at a market. I'd rather be chatting with customers about our syrup and honey, giving out samples, etc. We also sell for $2 per stick.

Yellow jackets show up in the fall, but typically bees are not an issue.

How heavy are those commercial units? Do you have to buy a cart for them? How about noise level? The bubble on ours rattles something fierce and I have to pad it with paper towels.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast