+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to promote more syrupmaking in my county

Default How to promote more syrupmaking in my county

Our county in mid Missouri has lots of hills and creeks with sugar maples; many areas have been previously logged for oaks and hickory and ash, so the sugar maple population is growing. There are even some "suburban" areas around larger towns that were built in the forest with many maples. Although there are several producers in other parts of the state with up to 500 taps, there are currently no sellers in my town of locally made maple syrup at farmers markets or on Craigslist, etc.

I would like to get word out to maple tree landowners, even as early as this spring. I may even arrange a "Missouri Maple Syrup" information booth at an upcoming farmers market, handing out flyers, showing photos of our syrupmaking, showing spiles, sapsacks, filters, etc.

Our 2019 maple season was tremendous. Our family made 25 gallons from 210 trees in this our 6th year of production. We quit early because we had enough syrup and not enough firewood, and we got tired of all the mud in the woods.

Anyone have any ideas for getting more folks interested in syrupmaking, getting the word out? Thanks. John
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Expand your operation, introduce more efficiency and make lots more syrup. Then get out there and sell it, farmer's markets and maybe a local store or 2. When others in your area see you doing business others will want to get in on that "EASY MONEY" too. They will then start making syrup and find out both how much fun it is and that it is not so easy and how hard it is to make money on it. You must however retail it, it is extremely hard for a small operation to make money selling in bulk by the pound.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

You might want to contact the folks in the WV Maple Association. They've done a tremendous job over the past 5 yrs or so of growing the maple industry there, and would likely have some strategies that worked for them, and perhaps some that were less productive.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

THanks Dr. Perkins.... do you have a name at the WV Maple Association whom I should contact? John

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Thanks Dr. Tim for the kind words about the WV Maple Producers Assoc. Yes we have grown the Maple Industry in West Virginia, Uncle John from Missouri private message me thru this site I will give you my cell number, I will share some of my personal secrets on how to get help from the State Level if you would choose to use that avenue, once the WVDA joined the push we have accomplished a lot!. Just a brief list! Every top Maple Researcher in America has come to WV, Dr. Tim came to the Southern Maple Symposium just last September, With the Dept. of Missouri on board helping you a Mid West maple event with the cream of the crop of Maple Experts could be possible? Especially with the possibility of getting Acer Grant Monies from the USDA. I have been involved since day one of the WVMSPA, Dr. Tim even learned a new word saying from me at the Symposium last Sept. "Bumping a Tap Hole". It worked again this Spring Dr. Tim.

Thanks Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will PM Mark at 220 and get in contact with him. John

Hey 220 Maple, MapleTrader says you have exceeded your allotted memory for storing private messages. Go ahead and PM me with your cell number. Thanks. John

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Expand your operation, introduce more efficiency and make lots more syrup. Then get out there and sell it, farmer's markets and maybe a local store or 2. When others in your area see you doing business others will want to get in on that "EASY MONEY" too. They will then start making syrup and find out both how much fun it is and that it is not so easy and how hard it is to make money on it. You must however retail it, it is extremely hard for a small operation to make money selling in bulk by the pound.
    Being visible is important. 10 years ago I sold at a couple of farmers market and virtually no one else was making making it. People would ask questions and when they realized that it could be done, they tried it themselves. Now I see several producers, including one guy whose gotten bigger than me! He has more time on his hands...
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

have a maple open house or a field day to get folks that are interested in syrup to your place. Mentor them and teach them the basic skills. You can do this!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread