+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade sap extractor, what type of container to use?

Default Homemade sap extractor, what type of container to use?

I got my sap extractor running and it works great! But as soon as my vacuum reached 20"hg, my container collapsed. The container I found is a sump tank made of 1/2" plastic ( I think its abs ). My lid is 3/4" acrylic plexiglas which holds up fine. I managed to rig up a brace inside but I know it wont last long.

So what did you use as a container? I've seen a couple made from booster tanks but I cant find any under 500 bucks. Did anyone find a material that holds up to high vacuum but doesnt cost an arm and leg?

Most are made using 8" or larger PVC pipe. Vacuum of 20" will give a lot of pressure on every square inch against the outside of that tank.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Schedule 40 pvc will work great. Hard to find end caps and fittings for anything over 4” though
    If you can get your hands on blue schedule 80 water pipe that is what the commercial ones are made of.
    Very expensive for fittings so if you can make caps out of plexi glass that’s best. And the schedule 80 is over 1/4” thick so threading fittings in is better. More meat for threads.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

+ Reply to Thread