+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synthetic flat filter - which side up?

Default Synthetic flat filter - which side up?

Hi, this is my second year making syrup, first year filtering. Last time I just skimmed it and used a sieve to get the bigger things out.

Anyways, I bought a synthetic filter from leader evaporator and when I went to use it, I wasn't sure which way was up. One side was harder/slicker and the other was softer and more like cloth. I think we went cloth side up so no fibers would come thru.

I didn't get prefilters which I realize now I should have, but we only made 1 gallon of syrup. Another year. I know there is more filtering to be done, but we filtered at 200*, before canning.

For that I had a second question: we did some Mason jars and some 8oz glass jars with screw on caps (with wax on the lids). I thought I had read some people tip them on their side or upside down to heat and sterilize the lids right after adding in the finished syrup. I tried that and a few leaked so I stopped. Not hot enough? Not on there tight enough? Should I have waited for a few minutes first?

All in all, another fun time. More to make that's ready, just need babysitting help which is coming next week. Thanks.
    IMG_20190323_193947.jpg
    2017 - 5 gravity taps, 2 pan block arch, 1gallon syrup
    2019 - 18 gravity taps, 5 pan block arch, 4gallons
    2020 - 25 gravity taps, 2x5 arch, RB10 kit, 7 gallons
    2021 - 25 gravity, 75 on 3/16, 2x5 arch, RO10 kit, 13 gallons
    2022 - 85(?) on 3/16 tubing

Cant help with the filter as I'm not familiar with it. The felt ones I use will filter either direction although the thick seam makes them easier to form one way!

However, for the bottling, you must turn them upside down unless you're sterilizing the bottles. Unless you turn them the heat of the syrop can not sterilize the top of the bottle and the inner lid. Even if you are sterilizing, if they're leaking something is wrong. If liquid can get out then air (and microorganisms) can get in!
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

There isn't a right or wrong direction on the flat filter. The important thing is to mark it so that you know which side was up the first time that you used it. That way you won't be putting dirt caught in the filter back into the new batch. I put a zip tie through one corner of mine and clip off the extra. The side that the head is on faces up and the other side is down. Magic marker will wash off. Only clean the filter with hot water, no soap. Never wring it out to dry it. It's okay to squeeze it but gently.

It sounds like you didn't screw your lids on tight enough.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I clip the corners of all my flat filters in one direction. Just remember the direction.

I have had problems with those metal lids not sealing properly. The last couple of years I've used the plastic ones from CDL and have had no problems.
    2016-First year
    17 Taps
    Block arch & steam pans
    About 1 1/2 gallons
    2017-20 taps
    About 3 gallons
    2018-13 taps
    Same Block arch & steam pans (modified arch & pans)
    2019-12 taps (keep losing trees)
    2020-Brand new Smokey Lake StarCat evaporator, about 15 taps.
    43.62N 87.78W

Thanks for the replies.

What would you suggest I do to solve my bottling problem? Can I screw my lids on tighter and do a water bath for 10+ minutes to resterilize? Or maybe I do get those plastic lids and do the same?

I wonder if those plastic lids on CDL's site would fit my bottles. Or if leader evaporator has some that would fit. Even if I don't do it at this time, since this is just for friends and family they'll give me the bottles back, but I'll have the same question when I need to get new lids next year.
    2017 - 5 gravity taps, 2 pan block arch, 1gallon syrup
    2019 - 18 gravity taps, 5 pan block arch, 4gallons
    2020 - 25 gravity taps, 2x5 arch, RB10 kit, 7 gallons
    2021 - 25 gravity, 75 on 3/16, 2x5 arch, RO10 kit, 13 gallons
    2022 - 85(?) on 3/16 tubing

+ Reply to Thread