+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow/Haul Button

I have one on my titan and never used it. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Yes. It will keep the transmission from shifting as much and will down shift on declines. Saves the brakes. Owners manual explains it well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    I have one on my titan and never used it. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
    If you have a new generation Titan, I highly suggest that you use tow mode any time you're hauling/towing a mode. They are very quick to learn 'bad habits' in normal drive. I spent a lot of time trying to retrain customers trucks after they had towed their boat/trailer without using tow mode. They didn't like how it shifted afterwards, but it was just doing what it's programmed to do.

Ok, BIG thanks to everyone! I tried it today with 150 gallons (which is usually trickier than a full load) and it made a HUGE difference. I would have been happy just knowing I was doing right by the truck, but I was amazed at the improved drive. My first couple of stops are over a pretty rutted and cracked road and the truck usually lurches from the sap being thrown around which usually leads to lurches in acceleration which causes the sap to lurch more. Today, I was able to keep a consistent speed and the sap was definitely steadier. I also noticed it in the long downhill that follows then the uphill after that. That was the steadiest half tank I've ever carried. Awesome! Traders come through again!
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I have been using my tow/ haul with a load of sap most of the time. Seems more in control! F250 with 325 leg tank.

Regards,
    Chris
    I like that leg tank. How do you secure it in the bed?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Glad to hear that it's making a great difference! It's better for you, and better for the truck.

The tow mode made a big difference with my truck. No more white knuckle rides coming down the mountain with 300 gals of sap. Thanks again.

If you're coming down a steep hill, especially if it's long, use tow mode and manually shift into the lowest gear that you can - each vehicle will be different. If you have 4WD, use 4 Low. This will utilize the most effective engine braking that's available. Going downhill, foot off the throttle, the engine will rev high, but will hold the vehicle back from speeding up. Then you only have to use your brakes for final slowing and stopping.

Obviously, when hauling a liquid, smooth operation will save you a lot of grief from the impact of sloshing sap.

Happy Hauling!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12