+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Batteries and Bits, how long should they last?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Batteries and Bits, how long should they last?

I hit the woods today with two freshly charged 20v DeWalt batteries. I got about fifty taps in and the batteries were toast.

I had my brother pick up a couple more on the way to the farm and so we got our buckets up.

I used those same batteries the last couple of seasons, and I remember them lasting really well.

I'm guessing these batteries were four years old, maybe recharged fifty times.

What do you think, are the batteries just shot due to age, or what?

And how many tap holes should a tapping bit last before replacement?

A lot of factors come into play. Since you say 20V they must be lithium Ion, have they always been charged soon after being used? If they are not kept charged their life gets shortened. Then again, 4 years might be not too far below the average. I think 5 or 6 might be about average.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-23-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I buy a new bit every year for our 400 taps. Many people use one for several thousand. My 18v 5.0 ah Milwaukee battery drilled 400 taps this year and was just under 1/2 used up. Was a brand new battery which helps. I am guessing something may be wrong with your Dewalt batteries but amp-hour is the rating that matters in regards to longevity.

On the bits, if I don't hit dead wood, I would think I get 700-800 holes from a tapping bit, then I resharpen them and use them for other non tapping uses.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you buy Ridgid, they have lifetime battery replacement. You have to register the battery to be eligible.

The problem might be not using a Milwaukee? Totally just kidding. Sounds like the batteries are getting old. I try and use my batteries in rotation for my job radio, lights, and others to keep them in regular use if I remember to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

I can get 100+ taps out of the 2.0 amp hour 20V lithium ion Dewalt batteries. I have a single 4.0 ah battery and it will get 300+. The Dewalt 18V XRP's you can get over 200 holes when they are new.

If you are tapping when the sap is running you will get fewer taps per charge than when the wood is still frozen. If you wobble a bit while tapping you won't get as many taps per charge either as this causes additional load on the drill.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread