+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines full of foam?

Default Lines full of foam?

Each day more and more drops seem to be full of tiny bubbles or foam, is this ok. 3/4 main 5/15 laterals and on a shurflo.

Likely you have a micro leak at the t-junction.

Your spout is leaking. Either it is loose in the tree or the tubing didn’t seal tight on the spout.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

If you can see the bubbles inside the tap you have a leak in the tree or the tap isn't seated completely. If the sap column in the tap is a solid stream you have a micro leak where the tubing is pushed onto the tap. Let us know what you find.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Is that spouts pounded in to far and split the bark? It looks like the spout is set way too deep.
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I'd also think the taps were "pounded" too far in. Then they split the bark and you get a leak. No fix for that, just an education. When you drive a tap in, use a lighter tool to hit it and tap lightly. Listen for the sound to change, sound will tell you when it is in solid. Either use a tapping hammer, or a small Ladies hammer or I've always used the flat jaw on a pair of 7" lineman's pliers. What ever you use, go more gently.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

thanks guys, I think you are right about the taps being in to far. We used a light tapping hammer when we tapped but then when it started flowing my son seen a lot of sap running down trees so he went back and pounded harder. will the air leak hurt the sap or can I just leave it for the rest of year? I am still getting enough sap to keep us busy from that line. It is running 13 - 19 inches at the end of the mainline 350 feet from pump. Makes me think if we didn't have all those leaks I could get even more sap.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Is that spouts pounded in to far and split the bark? It looks like the spout is set way too deep.
    I agree. Leak appears to be located at the spout/tree interface, and the spout is set too deep, which created a microleak of air (into the tubing) being sucked into the tubing and sap running outside the spout. No fix for this except knowing better the next time. As Dave said...sound is generally the best indicator of when spouts are seated properly.

Yes, both your vacuum and yield will be lower, but you've also cut off productive wood by pounding the spout in too deep, which will also reduce your yield from any affected spouts.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

The sap running down the tree on the first run or two with properly seated taps is pretty much normal. It's a small tear in the bark made when you drill the tap hole. After the tree has a chance to heal it won't be there anymore.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast