+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R-65 burner

Default R-65 burner

I've got a R-65 burner that I am trying to boil down my sap on. It's been on there for 3 1/2 hours at about 1 1/2" deep and has not boiled at all ... a little steam and that's it. The regulator is turned all the way up ... new tank ... ugh!! And my sap started at 6% this morning. I was sooo excited and now I'm sooo frustrated! Does anyone out there have a clue as to what might be wrong?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If you have it turned all the way up, the propane can come out so fast it freezes up the nozzle a bit and restricts the heat output. The way to make it hotter (believe it or not) is to throttle it down a little. Sheltering the burner/pot from the wind with something will help a good deal as well.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The way to make it hotter (believe it or not) is to throttle it down a little.
    This is a great tip, and one that I haven't seen before. This is my second year using propane and I've always had the tank all the way open. I've not had any issues with getting a rolling boil, however, I've also burned through about 3/4 tank each time. Today, for my 3rd boil, I only opened the tank about halfway, still had a great rolling boil, and definitely went through less propane. Thanks Dr. Tim!
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread