+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Vacuum pump issue

Default Cold Weather Vacuum pump issue

Has anyone else had problems with their vacuum pump not starting when cold? Mine runs up to about half speed and then trips the breaker. After warming the pump it will start fine. Any suggestions on different oils used to help this issue would be appreciated. The pump is a Sogevac SV B40 BI. I am currently using the manufacturer recommended oil Leybold LVO 120.

One of my outside pumps does the same thing. Do you have power outlet there? I plug in electric milkhouse heater and put on it for half hour before startup in morning. Starts fine then. I also built a 3-sided plywood box. I put it over pump when temps are marginal. I find it helps pump retain heat and keeps condensation from building in oil. Once temps warm in mid to late season I take box off.
    Neil

Vacuum pumps don't like to start when cold esp. if there is moisture in the oil. Drain reclaimer every day and put a heat lamp on them at night and you will have no problems.

I am running this off of a generator. I currently have the generator auto starting based on temperature (thus starting the pump) and hoped potentially a different oil has helped others.
    Last edited by mkoehler79; 03-19-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Is the generator big enough for the surge needed at startup when cold?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

The motor is a 2 HP running on a 10 kW Max generator. The motor overload trips and not the generator breaker. This same generator starts other 5 hp motors. I could add in some relays to run a heater on the pump before turning it on, but was curious if anyone had any oil solutions that may be worth trying first.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Vane pumps are fairly notorious for starting hard. You could try a lighter oil, but once it heats up that might not provide enough lubrication...especially in late season. The better approach, as already suggested, is to heat it or keep it warm before starting it up.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

mkoehler, How many taps are you running off your Sogevac SV 40BI? I'm looking for a new pump and they seem to be reasonably priced. I need a pump for about 500 taps.

If you are using a programmable VFD you may be able to ramp the start. I have mine set to to ramp to full speed in 10 minutes. This is an invertek drive.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Have the temperature-based auto-start turn on a timer with a heat-lamp which runs for 30-60 min, then have another timer start the pump. Just set it to turn on a few degrees earlier.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast