+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to cut down too sweet of syrup

Your error was in not multiplying by the specific gravity of Maple syrup which is 1.4 so 10x1.4=14
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Man all those numbers make my head spin.I just cook it till it looks good on the hydro. and taste good and can it. Course I only get 30 to 40 gal. and sell to friends. They love it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Your error was in not multiplying by the specific gravity of Maple syrup which is 1.4 so 10x1.4=14
    Buckeye gold and Gabe are right. The concentrations are weight based. According to appendix 3 in the maple producers manual an approximate conversion factor between volume and weight is 1.33. Using the Pearson’s square as described in the manual results in an adjustment of 13.4 ounces. Cheers to math and maple, two of my favorite things!
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

While I'm fairly good with math, when I need to thin, I just add a little distilled water (or permeate, or almost syrup) and blend, then test again, and again until I get 66.9%. When I need to thin, I can only guess the amount in the bottler, I don't have an accurate amount.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    Buckeye gold and Gabe are right. The concentrations are weight based. According to appendix 3 in the maple producers manual an approximate conversion factor between volume and weight is 1.33. Using the Pearson’s square as described in the manual results in an adjustment of 13.4 ounces. Cheers to math and maple, two of my favorite things!
    Thank you for your kind words. "Right" is a bit of an overstatement - I did correctly identify my error, so I'll take what little solace there is in that.

Anyway, I tried again, this time using weight. Here's what I came up with.

Given:
    S = weight of Sugar in his seven quarts of too-heavy syrup
    Wh = weight of Water in his too-heavy syrup
    Wc = weight of Water in correct syrup

We know that:
    Code:
     S                 
    ---- = .699
    S+Wh 

And 

S                 
    ---- = .669
    S+Wc
    Solving these two equations, we get
    Wc = 1.149Wh

In other words, you want 1.149 times the weight of water in the correct syrup as is in the heavy syrup.

I'm pretty confident of that part. The next part I'm not sure about, which is calculating how much water is in that heavy syrup. Once I know that, I can solve it.

Just for fun, if I pretend that the heavy syrup is actually normal syrup, and then calculate the amount of water it would have in it, I come out with the answer of 14.8 ounces. I know that's wrong, and I expect it to be, but it shows that I'm in the right ballpark. I would expect the answer to be lower, which jimmol showed that it was. I just don't know how to make that last leap.

Well this was fun. I haven't used this much algebra since high school. I don't want to admit how many decades ago that was!

jimmol - sorry to hijack your thread with math!

Cheers,

Gabe O
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets