+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does the recirculator work?

Default How does the recirculator work?

Anyone interested in explaining to me how a recirculation on an RO works. Pros n cons.
    I have a home built 4x40 and it's great to have especially with the lower sugar content this year but I would love to speed up the RO if possible.
    Its nuts n bolts. Feed pump to 2x20 filter to high pressure pump (to small for another membrane I believe) psi gauge after prefilter and one after needle valve. I currently run at 250psi and average around 1 gpm of permeate and about 5ish gpm of concentrate.
    Looking to speed up permeate to get us by for a year or two in hopes of getting something bigger in the future.

Do you have a valve on the concentrate side of your line? If so, if you close it up slowly you will get more permeate and less concentrate.
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

Yes I do. A needle valve which I typically run at 250 when concentrating. I turn it all the way back when rinsing.

I normally run enough to fill my head tank which is 275 gallon. Then just keep recirculating the head tank to about 1/2 then add more raw sap. Repeat. Run it till I'm done boiling.

I have 4x40 RO (home-built) and I use a recirculation line. The concentrate line tees after the outlet of the membrane and then to two needle valves. One goes to the concentrate flow meter, the other back to the inlet of the Procon pump. I close down the valves to get to my flows I want. First I start closing the recirc, then the concentrate valve. Once the flows are close I make fine adjustments to both of them. A 4x40 membrane can do 75% water removal on one pass with recirculation and no recirc pump. But, the concentrate flow is only about 13GPH. At 50/50 flows with a good membrane my permeate is 0.8 and concentrate 0.85 give or take. Definitely worth the extra valve and plumbing.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Sugarmaker View Post
    I have 4x40 RO (home-built) and I use a recirculation line. The concentrate line tees after the outlet of the membrane and then to two needle valves. One goes to the concentrate flow meter, the other back to the inlet of the Procon pump.
    I’m thinking of adding recirculation to my Waterguys single-post 4x40 RO. I thought that in this context, recirculating “within the RO” meant to feed the concentrate back to the membrane inlet while still under high pressure, i.e. split it off upstream from the main needle valve and re-introduce it between the pressure pump and the membrane (still at high pressure).

If you re-introduce the concentrate to the flow before the pressure pump , as Urban Sugarmaker states, isn't that the same as recirculating it back to the raw sap tank and running the RO until you reach the desired concentration?
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

+ Reply to Thread