+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No room to hang sac holder

Default No room to hang sac holder

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but my search wasn't successful. I'm a small producer with under 50 taps. I use the hanging bag method with much success.

Is it me or have the tree taps gotten shorter? Early season i tap a few larger silver maples. As you can see by the photo the hanging hook portion of the tree tap goes into the bark. I use a chisel to work away some of the bark but I'm afraid to take to much bark off.

What are my options? Do they make a tree tap designed for thicker bark? Should i go to a drop line?

Appreciate your input in advance.

IMG_0646.jpg
    2008 - was the start of it all!!!
    2016 - New 22" x 34" flat pan
    2018 - 50 bags and new RO system.
    Still a great hobby.

Pictures can be deceiving but, it looks like your tap is too far into the tree? I have used those same style taps on metal and PVC holders without an issue.

Thanks Austin351, your right the spike does drive into the tree further than most before its seated. The bark on these silvers can be rather thick.

Probably just my luck this year several of my taps ran into this situation. Be nice to have an extended spike. Maybe the guys in the shop can turn something....
    Still a great hobby.

I use cdl plastic disposable spouts, and hang bags. The only time one ever pulled out was at the end of season, and was full and running over and windy, and I didn't remove it for several days.

Thanks Marcus, I do have some plastic drop line taps, not sure the brand. They appear to be longer, wander if that will work? I'll post a photo when installed.
    Still a great hobby.

+ Reply to Thread