+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to stop finish pan flooding

Question How to stop finish pan flooding

Looking for thoughts / ideas for my somewhat unusual operation. We have a LaPierre minipro that we use mainly for demonstration purposes during our maple festival. Unfortunately this means that a lot of the time I'm firing up the unit at 9am and then stop firing at around 2pm so that the fire can die down and we can close festival at 3pm. The box retains a lot of heat and I typically evaporate another 5gal of sap overnight as it cools off. During this time I leave raw sap supply valve as well as the valve between the evap and finishing pans open.

The problem I have is that occasionally the float valve for the finishing pan sticks open. Then, when I arrive the next morning I'm greeted with a finishing pan that has 6" of sap in it! Most of the time it appears the float is getting held open by tiny pieces of debris (not sure what it is, maybe flaked off bits of nitre). Its only held open a really small amount but of course, over a 15 hr period a lot of sap can leak through! Happened again last night. This time I think it was the sap freezing in the float tube that forced the valve open. Luckily it quickly froze the entire tube so only increased the finishing pan depth by about an inch.

I'm concerned that if I were to close the ball valve that feeds the finishing pan the latent heat might be enough to evaporate the pan dry. Is that a valid fear? Do I flood the finishing pan with an extra 1/2" and then close it? That way I have a minor flooded pan 100% each morning or take my chances and have a major flood 10% of the time! Any other thoughts or ideas on what to do?
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I have a similar evaporator and I have to close the valve for the same reason. I flood the pan an extra 1/2" or maybe a full inch. By the time I shut down everything else in the shack the boil in the front pan is nearly non-existent, and at that time I feel safe walking away from it. I have never come back to it shallower than I am comfortable with. I do burn straight pine the last 20-30 minutes when winding down so I don't have a lot of (or any for that matter) coals left over too.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Flood the pans. You can calculate roughly how much you need to flood. I know it can be dissapointing to undo some of your gains by sending sap into your finish pan but it protects against burning the pan while controlling how much material makes it past the float. Biggest bonus in the piece of mind it gives you when you lay your head on the pillow.
    Leader 3x8 Patriot raised flue
    800 taps on vacuum
    100 buckets around the yard
    A lot of help to make it fun

I stop firing 30 mins before I plan to leave then, as I am leaving I close the tank valve, remove the feed hose and drain it, add a 5 gal pail of sap to the first channel and finally close the valve between the flue and syrup pans.

Removing and draining the feed hose can save me an hour thawing it out the next morning if it's cold out.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Good to hear from Big Eddy, my hero!
    Yes better to have little too much sap than the alternative!
    You can drain some off in the morning and add back in. You haven't lost anything. Its is still sweeter than it was!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I fill my front pan to about an inch higher than I normally run it and close the valve to the pan. After it cools it's close to the level that I normally run at or a little lower. I've never had the pan boil dry or even close to it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I do about the same as Russ. I dump the head tank about 5 minutes after my last fueling of the day, into my back pan (when I have about 18-20 gal of concentrate in the tank). Then I drain the pre-heater into the back pan. I then do my clean up for shut down. My evaporator takes about 45-50 minutes before the front pan boil slows almost to a stop and the bed of coals are almost all burned up. I then bring the syrup pan level up from about 1" up to 2" deep. I then close the valves between the pans(raised flue so I have 2 valves closed) Then I put my covers on every opening (I made a SS cover for each float box (3) and for the syrup pan. The back pan has a closed hood. Then I shut off the lights and go home. In the morning, when I return I usually have about 3/4-1" in the front pan and the back pan is about at normal operating level (about 1/2-3/4" over the raised flues.
    I never had any issue doing that, except occasionally I forget to close the valves between the front and back pan after the first boil of the season. When that happens, the front pan is at about 4-5" deep the next day. Even with that, I just light the fire and let it evaporate. In about 60-90 minutes it is down to my 1" operating level and when ready my first draw is longer than normal (auto draw). That happens once every 3-4 years, this year it did.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread