+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smokey lake hybrid pro pan question

Default smokey lake hybrid pro pan question

I am only 5 years into sugaring and bought a new smokey lake 2x4 evaporator evaporator with the hybrid pro pan. I was told that as I boiled, the finished syrup would work its way to the front and I would drain finished syrup every 1-2 hours. I boiled around 100 gallons yesterday and although you can see the colors changing through the different sections of the pan, I did not get any Finished syrup out yesterday. I have solid concentrate and know that I will get it out eventually, but I wanted to validate that this is all normal operation and that I am doing things right. The evaporator is perfectly level. Evaporator boiled as expected, I was just told that I would not really be draining the syrup every boil like I was with the flat pan. I would just leave whatever I wanted in the pan and with the next boil, it would just pick right back up and you keep moving forward.

Should I expect that at some point as I continue to boil I will start to draw straight syrup out and will continue the cycle until I do a big complete clean out of the pan?? Do others do complete clean outs every time you boil?

Any experience, advice, or other comments appreciated.

Thanks.
    2014 - 15 taps
    2015 - 20 taps
    2016 - 25 taps
    2017 - 60 taps - added sugar shack and first evaporator
    2018 - 70 taps on Bags
    2019 - 90 taps - new 2x4 corsair with hybrid pro pan from Smokey Lake

Sound pretty normal. My first raw sap run with my 2x6 hybrid several years ago now produced no syrup. Second run did. This was after running several hundred gals, but the pan is bigger. It will take you some time to reestablish the gradient on your next boil. You can draw off some concentrate from the syrup section, then add that back to the syrup section during the next boil to speed that up.

I do not clean out between runs (unless disaster strikes), just continue the process over and over until the end of the season.

Which arch do you have? I'm on a diy arch, but am looking at getting one of theirs.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 03-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Your experience is completely normal. It takes a huge amount of sap to "sweeten" the pan, especially if this new pan is larger than your old pan. The fact that it is a hybrid pan has no bearing on the process. After sweetening occurs, you will be able to draw off syrup at regular intervals. It is also typical that pans need to be completely cleaned out at least once during the season to remove niter to prevent burning. Keep going!!
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Small pans struggle to maintain gradient and also to finish syrup. You might want to considered drawing off near syrup and finishing on a propane burner. You will make lighter syrup and quicker that way. If you insist on finishing on the pan then you will only get small draws. It's a common problem with small hybrid pans. I run a Smokey Lake Full pint hybrid and I finish on propane.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Small pans struggle to maintain gradient and also to finish syrup. You might want to considered drawing off near syrup and finishing on a propane burner. You will make lighter syrup and quicker that way. If you insist on finishing on the pan then you will only get small draws. It's a common problem with small hybrid pans. I run a Smokey Lake Full pint hybrid and I finish on propane.
    This is true. When I had my 2x4 SL flat pan, I never drew off syrup. I finished on the stovetop in the house. Because you have drop flues, you may be able to draw off syrup, but it will only be small amounts at intervals. Depends on your boil rate.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

In my experience, it is very much possible to make syrup on small pans and I don't see any reason not to. I have done so with both flat and hybrid pans. It can take a lot of patience, and I certainly had my moments of doubt. However, persistence will pay off. The draws will be small but I don't see that as a problem. I draw syrup off over density and corrected later like many here on the forums. At the end of the season I will empty the pan and finish what remains on propane. Other than that I only use propane for reheating to bottle.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I have the same setup as you and yes...you’re doing things fine. It takes me about 150-175 gallons before I start to draw off syrup. I draw off as slowly as possible once it reaches 7 and never back down beyond the 6. I finish on my stove top and it’s a setup / process I’m comfortable with.

At the end of the season, I empty the pan into a separate container and finish it on its own. If you mix it in with your syrup that’s been drawn off you will just give yourself more work filtering. Make sugar, candy or cream with what’s left in the pan.

Just keep boiling and be patient. We draw finished syrup off our 2x4 divided pan. 2 gallons today. We start drawing off when its on the top of 7 and continue to draw off into filters between 7 and 8 until it drops. At the end of the boil we heat it up to 180-190 on the stove, check with a hydrometer and add distilled water if it is too dense.

Good luck.
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

I have a Smoky Lake 2x5 hybrid pan. There are a couple factors I've found that affect the ability to do regular draw offs of syrup. I think the smaller the pan and fewer partitions aggravate the situation.

Consistent firing is key...
    Fire every 10 minutes
    Use same amount of wood

Evenly distribute wood in firebox so you get consistent heat across the entire pan. I think inconsistent heating causes sap to intermix and increases time between draws

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Also, keeping the sap depth content as low will help. Shallow depth will minimize mixing in the channels and contribute to an consistent gradiant. But keep in mind that as you run shallower, you run closer to the edge of disaster so pay attention.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast