+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Made 4" by 40" RO - Flows?

Default Home Made 4" by 40" RO - Flows?

Good day.

I have followed some of the threads here and built my own 4" by 40". I have a Procon 240 gph high pressure pump that is fed by a 14 gpm jet pump. I have a 1 gpm flowmeter on my concentrate line and a 2 gpm flowmeter on my permeate line. When I test it with pure water, I seem to exceed my flowmeters. It appears that I am able to process about 5 gpm. Should I expect this to slow down with raw sap? I am able to achieve 250 psi on the discharge side of my membrane. I understand the math on the 240 gph results in a 4 gpm production - so I may have answered my own question. But thought I would reach out to see what other folks running a 4" by 40" achieve.

Thank you.IMG_5498.jpg

The membrane performance will be much different on cold sap. I don't know which membrane you have but a XLE4040 is rated at 2,600 gallons per day or 1.8 gpm of permeate flow at 77 F and 100 psi. At 250 psi it will permeate about 2.5 time as much on water at 77F. Temperature and average sugar content are huge impacts on performance. For example dropping the temperature from 77F to 35F reduces the permeation rate by 50%. You have to increase the system pressure to overcome that. As for the flows, if you're not recirculating any concentrate then the permeate flow and the concentrate flow will have to equal the capacity of the ProCon pump.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps on buckets - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps on buckets - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps on buckets - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps on buckets - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps on buckets - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps on buckets - 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps on buckets - 18.5 gallons syrup

Quote Originally Posted by ACollette View Post
    Good day.

I have followed some of the threads here and built my own 4" by 40". I have a Procon 240 gph high pressure pump that is fed by a 14 gpm jet pump. I have a 1 gpm flowmeter on my concentrate line and a 2 gpm flowmeter on my permeate line. When I test it with pure water, I seem to exceed my flowmeters. It appears that I am able to process about 5 gpm. Should I expect this to slow down with raw sap? I am able to achieve 250 psi on the discharge side of my membrane. I understand the math on the 240 gph results in a 4 gpm production - so I may have answered my own question. But thought I would reach out to see what other folks running a 4" by 40" achieve.

Thank you.Attachment 19716
    Collette,
    Fantastic looking build! I admire the attention to detail. I don’t mean to jack your thread, but I have intentions to build a 4”x4” myself over the summer. Could you talk about about your build and things you would change or keep as is? Thanks for the info !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Homemade 275 gallon oil drum arch
    -75 taps, all on traditional buckets and drops into 5 gallon buckets
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    -Fear: Becoming a member of MT.com and getting bit

Good day.

definitely overkill with the feed pump, im running 2 xle4040s with a 330 procon and get 1.5/ 1.9 gallons on permeate depending on the temp
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    350 taps on vac.

Good day.

Collette,
    Quick question, what does this unit require you to have for power? I know when you get into the large size pumps you need more power so I'm curious if you're able to power this via maybe 2 separate 20amp circuits or you're needing more power than that?
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Homemade 275 gallon oil drum arch
    -75 taps, all on traditional buckets and drops into 5 gallon buckets
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    -Fear: Becoming a member of MT.com and getting bit

+ Reply to Thread