+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boiling point of water or syrup hydrometer???

Default Boiling point of water or syrup hydrometer???

Last weekend I went and bought a brand new syrup and sap hydrometer.. up until then I have been basing my finished syrup on temperature only. When I was finishing on the stove last weekend boiling point of water was 209.. so syrup should be syrup at 216. But according to they syrup hydrometer it was not finished until the temperature was 219. So what the heck is right temperature or density? I am not buying a refractometer...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

In order to test correctly with a hydrometer, you need to adjust for temperature also. To get a good reading, they both need to be calibrated. I've seen brand-new hydrometers fresh-out-of-the-box be off. Usually just a little, but sometimes not. Best to buy a good calibrated hydrometer, get it checked somewhere, or compare it to a known good hydrometer.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Is it possible that you made an error in you measurement of the boiling point on that day?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I think some people check the boiling point of water and take a reading as soon as i look sort of like a boil. It needs to be a hard, rolling boil, before you add for the boiling point of syrup. Then if the barometric pressure changes during your boil, the necessary syrup temperature changes too. Best to use a hydrometer that is properly calibrated and use it correctly.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    In order to test correctly with a hydrometer, you need to adjust for temperature also. To get a good reading, they both need to be calibrated. I've seen brand-new hydrometers fresh-out-of-the-box be off. Usually just a little, but sometimes not. Best to buy a good calibrated hydrometer, get it checked somewhere, or compare it to a known good hydrometer.
    dang, I had no idea a hydrometer needs adjustment for temp. My water boils around 207. I know when I get to 7 on the dial thermometer, I am still under on the hydrometer by about that many brix, but the temp doesnt really go up till I get to syrup, so I always assumed the temp thing was a warning you are almost to syrup. Is adjusting temp for altitude like a monkey wrench getting thrown in?

209 was as high as the water got... yes it was a hard boil.
    And it was sitting right next to the pot of syrup at the same time. It was just interesting. I will probably buy a Murphy cup soon enough but I have spent enough money this year on syrup season...wife still won't let me get a new evaporator. It could be the evaporator I want is 7k...but she says she is still enjoying making syrup. So I better not push it.
    Last edited by snakes14009; 03-15-2019 at 07:08 PM.

A Murphy Cup works excellent. I don't know where the 7 above boiling point came from but I have NEVER made syrup at 7 above. My syrup is usually made at 9 above or more. Get and use a hydrometer correctly and you will make really good syrup.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    dang, I had no idea a hydrometer needs adjustment for temp.
    https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf...hydrometer.pdf
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    A Murphy Cup works excellent. I don't know where the 7 above boiling point came from but I have NEVER made syrup at 7 above. My syrup is usually made at 9 above or more. Get and use a hydrometer correctly and you will make really good syrup.
    Same here...I've had my water boil at 209 and 210, and I still finish at 222-225, and the syrup has been bang on the red line. That whole 7 degrees thing has never worked for me.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    Same here...I've had my water boil at 209 and 210, and I still finish at 222-225, and the syrup has been bang on the red line. That whole 7 degrees thing has never worked for me.
    Same goes for me. I've used a thermometer and hydrometer the last 4 years. My temp has always been above 220 when I'm on the red line. My first boil, last week, temp was 223.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread