+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam stack rain cover

Default Steam stack rain cover

Does anyone have a good website to get a 10” cover for a steam stack? I like the rope pull, fully open ones because we are putting a fan in our stack to help with steam. The whirlybird isn’t cutting it. I’m afraid a Chinese hat style would restrict the fan output. $250 or more from CDL seems ridiculous. Galvanized, stainless, aluminum.....whatever. Any help would be appreciated.

The most inexpensive cover would be the Chinese hat style. I don't think there would be a problem as long as there was ample space from the end of the pipe up to the hat. You could not mount the cover real close to the rim.
    Years ago I mounted a Chinese hat on my smoke stack when my evaporator was outside. I mounted it on 6" long uprights that I fastened to the top of the smoke stack.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

We have a 8” Chinese hat for our smoke stack which works fine. Just not sure how much the 790 cfm fan will be pushing. Hate to defeat the purpose at all.

So you use a fan to remove more steam? My steam goes out with a Chinese type hat and a damper in the stack to hold more steam around the pre-heater.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The goal is to remove more steam with the fan. We don’t have a preheater and boil raw sap so we get a lot of steam for longer periods of time than some. The whirlybird draws a good draft but once the syrup pan starts rolling it’s a little too much and we have a steamy shack. Not wall to wall, can’t see your hand thick but it lingers. Ideally, I think a 12” steam stack or larger would be best but we have it all set up and aren’t changing that this year. The steam will go out with a whirlybird or hat, just wasn’t sure if there are other options. I would think the hat would be less restrictive, but still a restriction. Found one on amazon for cheap that sits up some. Best I’ve seen so far.

+ Reply to Thread