+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blower and draft

Default Blower and draft

The stack draft on my evaporator does not seem to be able to keep up with the blower I use ( around 150 cfm). I end up with sparks and ash coming out of every little crack and around the cast iron door and the little space between the pans and the stack. I throttle back the blower so that stuff isn’t flying around the shack but then I feel I’m getting sub optimal evaporation rate. The stack is 7” diameter connected to a 8” metalbestos chimney which has the standard cap on top.

Is this just a normal problem that everybody has to deal with or is there something I can do to improve this situation? Do those of you who use metalbestos use the standard cap or does that cap restrict the draft too much?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I would ditch the cap and probably add another section or two to your chimney. that should help increase your draft. i had to get my chimney above the peak of my roof by a good 2' in order to get a real good draft.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

What size is the evaporator? If it is smaller than 2x6 that stack should be good, on a 2x6 it could be marginal. As tcross said, get rid of the cap and add more stack. Above the roof you can just use single wall pipe. If you add more than an additional 2' you may want to brace the stack.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

interesting..in my new shack, the top of my stack is below my peak.....I should extend it above the peak, huh?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Hi, thanks for responses. The evap is 18x63. Stack is proper diameter and quite tall (20+ft). Sounds like the cap might be the biggest issue?
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread