+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Season Already Over?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Didn't mean to offend, and obviously I don't know what you've had for weather so far, however it looks like decent sugaring weather in your forecast. Pull taps if you like -- your call.

Attachment 19729

Not offended. Just trying to use observational science here; buds, flowers growing, temps. I did however notice that there is a huge difference in forcast temps for this coming weekend between "the weather channel" and "accuweather". 10°F differnce. That makes all the difference. As far as the ecological niche, well maybe. We do have some unique weather in our area compared to our neighbors. I just wondered what others in NY were experiencing. I'm not typically the one to be a whistle blower on when "I" think the season will be over and I definately am not trying to say that the entie season is over for the entire maple producing region. Most would have to admit that the weather this winter/spring has been quite abnormal. We usually get 5 weeks or more here and its looking like we could end up with half that this year
    2014 - 19 taps on gravity, propane camp stove with just 3 gallon pot - made 6 gal
    2015 - 130 taps on gravity, 2x4 flat pan on run-down arch - made 25 gal
    2016 - 300 taps on gravity, 2x6 A&A metal shop raised flue evaporator - made 25 gal (missed 2 weeks of season and then had to dump 10 gal of syrup)
    2017 - 275 taps on gravity - made 38 gal (again missed out on some runs)
    2018 - 275 taps on gravity - made 52 gal
    2019 - 275 gravity - homemade RO (2 4x40s)

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by cfenton86 View Post
    Most would have to admit that the weather this winter/spring has been quite abnormal. We usually get 5 weeks or more here and its looking like we could end up with half that this year
    I've quit saying that any weather is not normal. Seems like "normal" is something that only happens when you average the "abnormal" over a long period of time. In any case, the only indicator I go by for the season ending is: 1) sap stops running or 2) syrup tastes like crap (sour, buddy). Nothing else really counts. Some of the really large bulk producers ignore rule #2, and only go by rule #1.

As far as flowers go...oftentimes flowers are not in their "normal" climatic range, so they can do weird things. And if they are planted near a building or near a strong light source, they can have a really weird microclimate that fools them into doing weird things. As for buds...better if I just don't start on that rant.

So have a good season...whatever it turns out to be for you.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Well here in central Michigan it looks like Wednesday is above freezing then a good night Thursday and Friday then 40°for lows from there out. What do you do? Last year taps were in for 7 weeks. Go figure this year is only 12 days long.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

We have some perfect sugaring weather AGAIN this week, but the test batch I just made has that dreaded tell-tale mild tootsie roll essence/taste to it. Since I see buds on the reds, I am going to assume it's not metabolism. We have been makin syrup for the past 5 weeks though at least so no qualms here, and maybe the next run can be just called "natural sweetener" if I decide to spend the firewood

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfrJzkpzCyg

Peepers indicate the end of our season about 75% or better of the time. Still a foot of ice on our pond, so hopefully we won't be hearing them anytime soon.
    Thanks, doc, for that blast from the past! i remember watching that one! however, i've never associated peepers with the sugar season. once i get 12 gal of syrup i get out the woods while the getting is good. once the road firms up i go back and start making firewood and then i hear quite the serenade. you guys just stay in the sugar bush longer than i do i guess.

Here in no. ind. the fat lady has sung. In the last two days After 2 nites of freezing temps. I had 2 good runs , unfortunately the sap was buddy. It smelled like cooking sweet corn and left an unpleasant aftertaste in your mouth. I pulled tapes and started cleanup' Short but a good year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123