+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap Sack Plastic Smell

Default Sap Sack Plastic Smell

Hi Everyone,

I just started using CDL/Roth Sugar Bush blue sap bags this year. I noticed the bags have a noticeable plastic odor to them. Has anyone else noticed this and will it affect the final product? They are supposed to be FDA food grade. These are the bags: https://www.rothsugarbush.com/product/sap-bag/ Thank you!

I've never noticed a smell to the bags I have. It might be the ink printed on the bag if they are like the catalog page linked. I would just use them and not think to much into it.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

I have 30 of them that im using and I didnt notice any odor at all. Im sure once you hang them on the trees, any resiudal odor will quickily disappear.
    2017 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2018 - Homemade Barrel Evaporator - 20 Taps (buckets) - Backyard boiling
    2019 - 2x4 Mason XL - 20 Taps (buckets) 30 Taps (sap sacks) - 14x16 Sugar Shack

I recieved the same CDL bags stamped with Roth on them from L&M Fleet. I wonder if it was a bad batch?

It seemed to me that the first little bit of sap this season was tainted in flavor as well as smell. I’m going to try dumping my sap on the ground and rinsing my 60 bags. What a pain. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to call Roth on Monday. It’s good to know at least that I’m not alone in this.

+ Reply to Thread