+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much should it weigh?

Default How much should it weigh?

I am getting my syrup back from a processor in 5 gal food grade pails this year. T he pail and lid weigh 2 lbs empty. Shouldn't the full 5 gal weigh 57lbs? Thank you!

Possibly. However, at least with the 5 gal. containers I've used, you can get a little over 5 gal. in them if you prop up the fill hole side a bit and fill it up until you can't fit anymore into it. That is how your supposed to fill them. That eliminates any unwanted air space and helps the container/cap to make a good vacuum seal as it cools. I would make sure your processor is filling them like this.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

What density is it at? If 66.9% sugar if my calculations are correct the syrup should weigh 56.5 plus the bucket. If a lighter density it would weigh a little less. That's using 11.3#/gal., am I remembering this wrong?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default Little short

I weighed them when I got home and they were both 53. The things that I have read say syrup is supposed to weigh 11lbs per gal but also 11.3 like you said depending on density. So at a minimum 11 lbs, but 56.5 + 2lbs for the container is then 58.5. Does that sound right? That kind of difference will add up fast.

I would not worry too much about the weight of the container. For most containers the volume is a nominal value, not exact. Many of the bottles and plastic jugs actually overfill by a couple ounces.

If I were taking sap to a processor I would just keep a close eye on the volume of sap delivered, and the sugar content. Those variables are going to tell you how much syrup you will get back.

+ Reply to Thread