+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rebottling...need to sterilize?

Default rebottling...need to sterilize?

If I want to rebottle a few cases of bottles, is it ok to just rinse and dry the bottles, or do they need sterilized? They were brand new before bottling originally a few days ago. Will I need new lids? (12oz glass handle bottles)

thanks!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by canaanmaple View Post
    If I want to rebottle a few cases of bottles, is it ok to just rinse and dry the bottles, or do they need sterilized?
    Check your local regulations. In some places it is not permitted to reuse bottles.

If you can, yes, you'll want to empty, then rinse multiple times with very hot water. Then repack them with syrup at 180-190 deg F as usual. With small glass bottles, you may want to preheat them somehow..in the oven or a hot water bath in order to keep the temperature high enough to kill spoilage microbes.

Definitely use NEW caps.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks!

Anyone got any tips on filtering at 185-190 before bottling? I can barely get a quart through a single pre-filter before it stops up! The syrup is already clear from filtering at draw off, but i just wanted to make sure no rogue debris or whatever goes into the bottles when transfer from bulk storage to heat and bottle.

I have never had a problem with hot, clean, prefiltered syrup going through prefilters and cones. Are you sure there is no fine niter in the syrup? I do it all the time when I rebottle from bulk containers. The only other time I had an issue with filtering "clean" syrup is some that had gotten ropey.
    Last edited by Ed R; 03-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I have never had a problem with hot, clean, prefiltered syrup going through prefilters and cones. Are you sure there is no fine niter in the syrup? I do it all the time when I rebottle from bulk containers. The only other time I had an issue with filtering "clean" syrup is some that had gotten ropey.
    I think my whole problem is I took the syrup too dense. One line below the hot line on hydrometer. Which makes sense because I see suspended sugar crystals in the bottles when looking close, which is why I was asking about rebottling in the first place.
    Trying to skirt the rules experimenting to make slightly thicker syrup than normal and I end up making more work for myself!

Depending on the regulation in WV, you want to stay at that density. If in doubt, go with 66.9% sugar determined by a properly calibrated hydrometer and used correctly. It will not sugar out, nor will it spoil if bottled properly.
    If you have issues filtering the syrup, after getting it to the proper density, heat it to about 200+ and then filter it at that temperature after mixing in some DE.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I guess we should also ask a question, are these bottles being sold to the public or just given away to friends and family? If for family you have some leeway, if being sold, follow what ever WV says is needed.
    I don't reuse containers.
    If you find that you can reuse, be certain to get them perfectly clean first and be sure they never had anything other than pure maple syrup in them. Then use a new cap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I guess we should also ask a question, are these bottles being sold to the public or just given away to friends and family? If for family you have some leeway, if being sold, follow what ever WV says is needed.
    I don't reuse containers.
    If you find that you can reuse, be certain to get them perfectly clean first and be sure they never had anything other than pure maple syrup in them. Then use a new cap.
    I decided not to re bottle. You really have to hold them up in the light and look close to see the faint suspended sugar crystals. Otherwise it looks very clear. Since I am not trying to win a micro clarity contest and it tastes great, im just gonna accept the imperfection that probably nobody else will notice

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Depending on the regulation in WV, you want to stay at that density. If in doubt, go with 66.9% sugar determined by a properly calibrated hydrometer and used correctly. It will not sugar out, nor will it spoil if bottled properly.
    If you have issues filtering the syrup, after getting it to the proper density, heat it to about 200+ and then filter it at that temperature after mixing in some DE.
    What???? Don't you mean heat it to 185-190? Go 200 plus and you're definitely going to get tons of nitre forming. Defeats the purpose of filtering if you're creating more nitre to filter out.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    What???? Don't you mean heat it to 185-190? Go 200 plus and you're definitely going to get tons of nitre forming. Defeats the purpose of filtering if you're creating more nitre to filter out.
    You must have missed the part about filtering again after taking it to 200

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast