+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Injection - Operating advice?

Default Air Injection - Operating advice?

Just finished plumbing in a new air injection system from H20 Innovations, and fired for the first time with it last night.

I'm looking for any tips or startup/shutdown procedures any of you have developed. The following in particular and anything else you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Amount of Air Injected
    I don't know what the optimal amount of air to use may be. I have valves to control air to both sap and flue pans ...but had sap jumping out of the pan last night if I opened to much. Sounded really cool but temps went down per my probes, so I cracked it down a bit. What do you guys do?

Preventing Nitre build-up
    I think I understand the principle as keeping nitre in suspension and off the bottom of the pans. Last night I realized that unless I drain the syrup pan off at the end of the boil, all of the "suspended" nitre is just going to settle to the bottom of the pan until I fire up again. That made no sense at all, so I drained off about 2 gallons and plan to pour back in tonight, hoping some of the junk stays in the bottom of my stainless pail.

Flue pan Vs Syrup pan
    Is there a rule of thumb you use to gauge the amount of air to Syrup Pan vs the Flue Pan? I had the flue pan cranked up pretty hard, mostly because it's deeper and I didn't get soaked. The syrup pan was given much because to me the depth didn't need it and I don't like getting soaked in hot sap.

Thank you again for anything you can offer up - hopefully this thread will become a good reference for future air injection projects.. John
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

There is no rule of thumb for air adjustment. I set mine so that it's not splashing everywhere and run it there. Once you've figured out the setting that works for you, you don't have to touch it again.

The idea of keeping the nitre suspended is to keep it from burning in the flues or onto the bottom of the front pan. I run mine while the evaporator is cooling down and then just let it sit. When there's no more fire it's cool enough to keep the nitre from burning.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks Russ. Hadn’t considered the no burning part with the nitre. That makes perfect sense. I did notice that it was much lighter in color - more of an off white. Had one small draw last night and it was very light, so maybe this is working as it should.

I’ll keep playing with air volume.
    John Allin

7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

We run our flue pan valve wide open and the syrup pan maybe only a quarter open.

How would you be able to get the airlines plumbed into the flue pan if you have hoods on,or even harder a steam away pan sitting on top of the flue pan?
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    We run our flue pan valve wide open and the syrup pan maybe only a quarter open.
    Thanks, that is what I have been doing...syrup pan was much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    How would you be able to get the airlines plumbed into the flue pan if you have hoods on,or even harder a steam away pan sitting on top of the flue pan?
    Bruce, I used sanitary pipe and clamps that allowed me to go through the hood and down to the flue pan. There is a tri-clamp connection inside the flue pan where air supply meets flue injector pipes, and another connection just out side of the hood (currently a fernco clamp).

To raise the hood; I reach in, disconnect the tri-clamp, then the fernco on the outside, hood can then be raised.

air injection finished 1.jpg air injection finished 2.jpg air injection finished 3.jpg
    John Allin

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Preventing Nitre build-up
    I think I understand the principle as keeping nitre in suspension and off the bottom of the pans. Last night I realized that unless I drain the syrup pan off at the end of the boil, all of the "suspended" nitre is just going to settle to the bottom of the pan until I fire up again. That made no sense at all, so I drained off about 2 gallons and plan to pour back in tonight, hoping some of the junk stays in the bottom of my stainless pail.
    Almost universally those who use air-injection make considerably lighter syrup. No question there.

In terms of niter build-up, the evidence is variable. Some producers notice less niter -- some don't. When we did research with it (a decade or so ago), I believe we found there was no difference in either the amount of niter that came out of the draw-off (so suspended and filterable) or the thickness of the scale deposited on the pan. What we definitely did notice was that the niter that was formed was WAY lighter in color. So when you looked into the pan after boiling, you'd definitely think...less niter. But when we actually measured the thickness at several locations throughout the front and back pans, we saw no difference between pans with and without air injection EXCEPT for directly below the holes where air was being injected. I suspect there is some variation in what is found depending upon the air injection device and pans used (style and placement) and how the air injection is operated (amount of air). There is also a real perception difference.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/air_injection.pdf
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I ran my inlet pipe through a door in my steam hood. I can't close the door all of way but leaving it open the inch needed for the air pipe isn't an issue. There is enough of a draw from my steam stack to keep the steam in the hood. I'm not sure what you would have to do to make it work with a steamaway over the flue pan.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

John,you only have a hood with preheater,correct? I don’t know if there’s a way I can run something down through the steam away to the flue pan
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

John,you only have a hood with preheater,correct? I don’t know if there’s a way I can run something down through the steam away to the flue pan
    Yes, I only have a steam hood with pre-heater. I had about 3-4" between the top of the hood's drip tray to the bottom of the pre-heater so I went through the side of the hood.

Looking at it, I'm pretty sure I could have gone through the side of the flue pan and still had room to make a connection to the air tubes. That would have eliminated all the elbows and disconnects needed at the steam hood. Once inside the flue pan; you can direct the pipes any where you need to and it all stays in place...
    John Allin

+ Reply to Thread