+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have a leak

Default I have a leak

For about 2 seasons I've had a slow drip at the bottom of my RO membrane canisters, this year it's worse. I was finally getting enough sap so I started running my first of season cleanup. The first leak was at the bottom of the re-circulation line. I pulled that tubing loose at the bottom, cut off the leaking part and reassembled it. That was fixed, then I started the initial pre-rinse, what had been a slow drip from the fittings on the bottom of the canisters was now much faster (it is just from the permeate part). I then went to get new fittings and had to go to 2 different plumbing supply stores to get what I needed. As soon as the temperature warms to near freezing I'll remove the old leakers and install the new. The leak looks to be at a seam on the fitting, while only 1 of the 2 has a leak I'm changing both.
    I guess it's a good thing my trees have not yet really thawed yet. I got some sap Sunday, but after running the vacuum for over 2 hrs and only getting about 4 gal I shut the vacuum off. Yesterday I ran again but in about 8 hrs of running I only got maybe 25 gal, but it was increasing a little just before freeze up. There are over 300 taps on that system and the vacuum is running at 23-25". I'll bet this Friday will finally thaw them, looking at a forecast of about 60. In fact Thursday shows 53, then 61 on Friday, before cooling back down to good sap flow patterns.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-12-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread