+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Building my Drum Evaporator

Dennis,
    Ouch!
    Cant wait to see the pan!

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

It's a real bummer that you have a broken toe, hope you heal fast. Can't wait to see the pics.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

I got some pics today of the pan sitting on the evap.

I also took a pic of all the fire brick. I couldn't find a good way to put any around the flue collar. I tried to use a hammer drill to drill alot of holes in a brick to do 1/2 of the flue opening, but when I tried to chip out the 1/2 circle it just cracked the brick. I will see how it holds up with out fire brick. I might have to get some refractory blanket, we'll see. The plate that the flue collar is welded to 1/8" plate so it should hold up well I think.

I am also going to add 1/2"x1/2" square bar steel to my grates between the angle steel that is already there. I was told I might run into a problem with the fire falling through the grates, so I figured it would be easier to do something now.

I am also making a plate for the top so I can finish the syrup in SS steam pans. I will be placing an 1/8" steel plate the same size of the pan on top with a cut out the size of the steam pan that I am getting. This way the bottom of the steam pan will be down into the evap in direct contact with the flames and heat.
    I'll post pics as I make it.
    With the price of propane now I figured that this would cost a whole lot less.

There is one thing you might want to consider on your steam pan idea for the finishing. Nothing wrong with that at all, but you'll find that when you drop a pan into the firebox you'll tend to get a burn line at the sap level, and the lower the level your sap/syrup gets in the pan as you finish you'll continue to get that scorching down the sides, and then as you fill up your next batch you'll be in contact with the burnt stuff. It's not a horrible thing but just something to consider. If you can keep the pan on top of the fire and the liquid will always be in contact with the portion of the pan that is in contact with heat, I think you will be in good shape.

Just a thought to consider. Your rig is taking shape very nicely.

Thanks Matt for the heads up on the burn line in the steam pan. I didn't think about that.

I think the pans have a slight taper to the sides, I will see when I get them. If they do I might be able to cut the hole so that only about 1" of the pan is below the top plate.

Thanks again.

I've been there done that, so that is why I mention it. When the heat/flames can lap up the sides where there is no liquid then you'll get the burnt on stuff sizzling all the time.

I don't know for sure, but if you can keep the pan depth greater than the amount you have it in the firebox, I think you'd be all set. I always had my pans dropped in, and yes they do taper, at least mine did. And they have a flange around them that will keep them from falling in.

What if you just cut the hole to fit the bottom like the old kettles that use to fit in the wood stoves. Work well for us at camp for hot water. Doesn't take any time to start boiling.
    By the way your evap looks great
    Last edited by TapME; 12-06-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

I finished syrup in pans dropped in like that for 10 years. You do get a burn line, more like a burn zone as the level drops.
    But the evaporation rate is faster and the burning doesn't hurt the syrup, just a little, sometimes a lot, darker and stronger maple flavor. I loved it and miss the stronger flavor now that I have a flat syrup pan.

Another thing to remember is that as the strips of steel between and around the pans heat up, they will expand and distort a little. Don't let that surprise you.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Dennis,
    Hope the foot is better.
    The guys are right on with the burnt zone in steam type pans. You want to try to keep the fire under the pan not up the sides. Friend of mine has similar problems. But he still makes 4-5 gallons of syrup per year. Maybe you can come close to finish syrup on the evaporator and move the pan off? Use the sheet steel to cover the top while the pan is off?
    Nice pictures of the pan and the brick looks very nice should work great for you.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I added some 1/2" square bar steel to the grates today. I don't think I should have any problems with the fire falling through now. I do have to agree that once I added them that it might ave been a little wide before.

I wanted to test fire it today but it is getting late so I will try it Sunday.

With the steam pans, thanks for the input. What I might do now is to make the hole just a little bit smaller than the steam pan, by maybe 1/4".
    After finding what propane cost right now I am going to try and do something so as I do not have to use gas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast