+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Building my Drum Evaporator

Yeah Brandon I am curious my self.
    I looked for cast iron type grates and couldn't find anything that was close to the size I needed.
    RileySugarbush gave me the idea to fab a set from 1/4" steel angle.

We'll see, if they last only a year or two that won't be too bad. I think I spent something like $10-15 on the steel.

I did get to work on the evap this evening, I think I got everything fab'ed and trialed fitted. I had to take everything out to fire caulk some of the seams. The fire caulk is rated to 1000 deg so I am hoping that being behind firebrick it will help to protect the caulk from burning out too quickly.

Default grates

I dont think the cool air will hurt them. I would think the heat will be worse.

RICH

As long as you keep forced air on them, they should survive fine. They look just like mine except for bigger air gaps. I've got two seasons on them and they are untouched. I think what kills them is when coals get down in the ash pit. With lots of air, those that fall in don't last long.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

oh... and I used some high temp silicone on my home built arch as well. Mine is a frame welded of angles and sheet steel. The sheets are attached with self drilling/self tapping screws and sealed with the hi temp caulk. In the firebox, I have fire box over arch board and in the flue area, one inch of ceramic blanket. The caulk is holding up fine.
    John
    180 taps on sacks
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Talking

Well I think I got all the fab'ing done and it is now put together.

I fire caulked all the seams and also even painted it flat black stove paint.
    Not sure how long the paint will stay on once I fire it up but man does it look cool flat back. It gives it that finished look.

I now have to stop at the local wood stove dealer to pick up more fire brick.

I have seen in other posts that other people us a blanket type material in the arch area instead of fire brick, where do you get the blanket at. Is it very expensive? I know I don't need much.

I also have to get the pan made now. I was looking at getting a 20x34x6" pan made. Since I don't have the tri-mix gas and for what little would need to be done I will pawn this job onto a local guy who does SS work. He gave me a quote about a month ago for about $120, I cant imagine the cost of SS going up that much since then. I also want to put 2, 3/4" bungs on bothe ends so I can put a draw-off valve in. That will add a little to the quote he gave me.

wow that is nice it kind of looks like the older barrel type half pint.in all it should work out good for you.by the way how much room will you have between the bottom of your pan and the arch?
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

Dennis,
    Looks very good! Nice Job. What is the gap width on the grates? It looks a little wide to "hold" the fire. Hard to judge from the pictures but you will be able to tell by the amount of coals that might fall through.

This is going to be a really nice rig for you.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Chris the gap are about 1".

I will find out how well t holds a fire soon enough. I just got to get the pan then I will fire it up.

With the angle iron V side up they should hold some coals, we'll see. I can always modify it if I need to.

Dennis, that looks really nice. When you add the brick, make sure the back edge of the fire box is bricked up close to the pan. there doesn't need to be any more area for the gases that your stack. That will keep the most heat on the pan.

I bought my ceramic blanket from a refractory supply company here in Minneapolis, but I don't imagine every town has one. I've seen it on ebay, so maybe you can find some there.
    John
    180 taps on sacks
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Talking

I got my pan today!

I got a call yesterday evening from the guy who was welding up my evap pan, it is complete.

For $160 it is not bad. I got two 3/4" bungs put in, so I can flip pan and draw off either side of the evap.

I wasn't able to get pics today. I am trying to take it easy, I had a steel roller fall on my toe at work and break it. Oh Joy!!

I am hoping to pick up 2, 3/4" plugs Friday so I can give the evap a test boil.

I also got all the fire brick put in, I shocked the guy at the store when I asked for 44 brick. He said that in 28 years that was the most brick he sold at one time. At least I will be known for something.

I will try and get pics of the pan and post them in the next day or two.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast