+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first tubing setup based upon advice from the guy at the shop. Is it right?

Default My first tubing setup based upon advice from the guy at the shop. Is it right?

I'm running a gravity tubing system with 5/16" line for drops and no mainline. I've got very flat land so I'm depending on starting high on the tree to get slope. I think each line has a total drop of about 5' from start to the final tree and then another 1' drop from the final tree to the a 55 gallon barrel. Below is a rough approximation. What I don't know is how the sap should flow through the tubing. Should each line be full of sap or partially full, or what? Or is this system destined to not work well unless I can get some kind of artificial vacuum on it.

Lines.jpg
    2019 - 61 taps, 20" x 66" mild steel pan, block arch (8 gallons of syrup)
    2018 - 7 taps in 5 Red Maples, 2 steam pans w/block arch (2 Gallons of syrup)
    2017 - I thought I preferred "Lite" Fake syrup over maple.

For a tubing setup on flat 5/16 is a logical choice. If your dots are trees that setup should work good. Each run should be partially full
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

The trees give up both sap and gases, thus you will have both in the tubing. Try to eliminate sags and it should work fine.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

As mentioned above the key to this is "Tight and down hill". Sounds like you have it correct for slope. You should produce .25 gal of syrup per tap per season if your doing it right. Some years more, some years less! Have been using 30 short run tubing systems for 15 years. Most of mine have from 4 to 25 taps per line.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Alright. Thanks for the reassurance. I've got it pulled about as tight as physically possible, so there's no sag at all except for 1 or 2 spots where I'm going like 30' between trees; and even there, it's minimal and I've compensated by increasing the slope in that section. I'm definitely getting movement through all the lines, although either some of the trees weren't maple (I accidentally tapped a poplar last year not paying attention) or my one large sugar maple was just being uncooperative yesterday.

Ok, back to the supply store for more taps. I have WAY more maples than I guessed for a 1 acre chunk of woods. I have about 2 dozen more taps to set today, then I'm gonna start cleaning out my new pan from all the welding mess.
    Last edited by elitts; 03-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    2019 - 61 taps, 20" x 66" mild steel pan, block arch (8 gallons of syrup)
    2018 - 7 taps in 5 Red Maples, 2 steam pans w/block arch (2 Gallons of syrup)
    2017 - I thought I preferred "Lite" Fake syrup over maple.

Just remember no y's if a tree needs two taps use two t's and dont try to bring in a line into another one..when you have a good run walk the lines and look for leaks...if you reuse a t be careful not to nick the barbs..

The book "Sweet Maple", 1993, describes the "DTS" system for tubing installation. Downhill Tight Straight. Your number of taps per lateral is good. If you see sap backing up, the tubings' not sloped enough, but as long as it flows, you're OK. Any chronic sags that are always full of sap due to not being sloped are a breeding ground for yeast. You asked if the tubing will be full or partially full. Yes to both, as the sap output ebbs and wanes.
    Last edited by Daveg; 03-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread