+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead and dying trees

Hybrid View

Default Dead and dying trees

I have spent the past week tapping my trees. I’m putting in about 340 taps this year. I tapped one section this afternoon and made a startling and concerning discovery. About 30 of the 120 trees (sugar maples) in this area are dead or dying. I noticed a couple trees last year in this section had dyed but the rest were seemingly healthy trees. This particular section is in a lower area and are smaller trees. I went back and checked my other areas and didn’t notice any other dying trees. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Do you have road runoff,salt, going to that area? Is it very wet? Insect infestations?

Not anywhere near the road. This particular area is surrounded by swamp and low lying but doesn’t flood. There are areas of maple only 100 yards away that are perfectly healthy. I’ll try and take some pics and post them.
    Last edited by Clinkis; 03-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum

Are those trees crowded, starving for sun? It might just be natural thinning. However, maples can survive generally with little sun and then shoot up when they get more sun.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Whats the signal that they're dead? Bark, buds or whats going on?
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

If they're in a low area, they're probably dying because it's too wet. Sugar maples don't like wet feet. Ground water changes over the years and the soil probably doesn't drain enough anymore to support them.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It is almost impossible to say without seeing the site and the trees and getting more of the history of the site in terms of weather, management operations, possible stresses, etc. It's kind of like saying, "My grandmother died...anybody got any ideas why?" Anything offered would be speculation.

In any case, if it isn't an insect or disease situation, trees typically die from EITHER:

1. Intense competition (especially in young stands) over a period of time.
    2. Short-term intense or prolonged moderate-severe stress.
    3. Multiple interacting stresses, neither of which alone would typically kill the tree, but when taken together, push it beyond the edge.

If your site is wet, I'd want to hear about the weather conditions over the past two years. Was it unusually wetter or drier there? Were there any insect issues in the last few years? How is the site nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by Walling's Maple Syrup View Post
    If they're in a low area, they're probably dying because it's too wet. Sugar maples don't like wet feet. Ground water changes over the years and the soil probably doesn't drain enough anymore to support them.
    That is possible and a reasonable guess. It is also possible that the trees got used to a certain level of moisture and the ground water level dropped suddenly for some reason (somebody breaking a beaver dam nearby perhaps) during a dry spell, making the site drier for several months at a critical time.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 03-07-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Carefully remove the dead ones and say thank you for the excellent fire wood. Look at that wood carefully for signs of insect damage. Watch the remaining trees to see if they improve or begin to fail. Overcrowding, over-watering, over-thinning, and even over-tapping could cause a die-off. It takes several years to kill a tree, and you'll have to think back to what has gone on in that area to make a theory of your own

What are their diameters, have they been tapped before?
    2020 same
    2019 RB10 26 taps
    2018 RO Bucket RB5 taps 20, leg tank in shed w/2 5/16
    2017 18 taps
    2016 20 taps
    2015 21 taps
    2014 30 2 gravity line, 2 hotel pan concrete arch 35 g leg tank
    2013 LP hook up in shack buckets 12 taps
    2 burner cook top 2012 finisher on a bbq tanks
    2011 rookie 2+ gal
    8 taps w/ milk jugs
    turkey cooker
    50-60 up back maybe

The trees range in size from 10”-20”. They have smaller crowns. I wouldn’t say they are over crowded. They definitely haven’t been over tapped. I wouldn’t say they have been stressed at all in the past 2 years. 3 years ago we had a bit of a drought. This is only happening in a 2 acre area of the bush.

One thing that Dr. Tim said that’s made me think is regards to ground water. This particular area is lower lying and surrounded by swamp. In the past few years the beavers have raised the water level in the swamp somewhat. Although this area hasn’t flooded I wonder if this has caused an issue. I’m going back into the bush tomorrow to finish tapping. I will try and take some pics and post them.

Thanks for all the suggestions
    Last edited by Clinkis; 03-07-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast