+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cdl vacuum filter questions.

Default cdl vacuum filter questions.

Last year I made a little syrup and used cone filter, I wasnt very impressed so I invested in the new 9" cdl vacuum filter. Basically put the filter, put some pre filters, clamp it down. Pour the syrup on top, and turn on the shop vac and it sucks thr syrup through.

My questions are

1 is filter aid required? And or would it help me process better qualify.

2 what is filter aid exactly. Is it just diatomaceous earth? Is any D.E okay like the stuff I get from farm supply for other purposes. Or should I get the stuff the store sells soecificly for maple syrup?

Thanks guys.

I can't speak specifically to the CDL press, but I can throw out my experience with my homemade vacuum press.

I started out using regular orlon filter pads, and they work okay but will clog as usual after a while. Then you have to go through the process of cleaning them, making sure to use them in the same direction, etc. I then tried using filter paper cut to fit the press, along with DE. This worked at least as well as the orlon filter, maybe a bit better in terms of clarity. A big benefit though is not having to clean the pads when clogging starts. Just toss out the paper and start again. Getting the right amount of DE takes some trial and error. Too much and the paper will clog early. Too little and the syrup won't be filtered enough. On each batch, I started out using about 1/4 cup of DE per gallon of syrup, and went from there.

You have to use DE made for syrup, at least food grade. A few years ago I tried some other DE with a cone filter and it didn't work.

So I draw off after bringing to correct density, mix with DE and stir then pour into filter. You want to make sure you mix the syrup and DE well, and it seems to help to keep stirring as it's being filtered.

Another thing is I burned out a shop vac after one long filtering session that took 10 or 15 minutes. Make sure you let the vac run for a bit after filtering without anything attached, allowing the motor to cool. If you just shut it off immediately after filtering, it will self-bake ;-)
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Filter Aid will help keep the filter from plugging up so fast. Make sure you buy filter aid made for syrup use. Not all diatomaceous earth is food grade or the correct size.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Perfect thanks guys. I will try the 1/4 cup per gallon and get de soecificly for syrup. and definatly try not to cook my shop vac.

Just picked up the 9 inch CDL version. Disappointed that it does not contain the sight tube as it was supposed to, as CDL said it would be identical to 12 inch.. Came with a thermometer that I did not need- still plan to transfer to a coffee urn with thermostat heater. Have not used it yet, but will by end of week. They said 1 oz of DE per gallon. Since it only has to coat the filter, I see why it should use less than a press-plate type.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Atleast you got more information on it than I did. That will help. I was also disappointed that it didn't have a sight glass. But I'm also planning on transferring to my water jacketed bottling tank.

Thanks for the info and experiences with these new type of filters. We are using cones and pre-filters and are having a hell of a time keeping up with filtering right off the arch. This is our 2nd year with an RO and absolutely love it. However, boiling concentrate makes syrup come off so fast we can't keep up with a single cone filter. I have had to setup a 2nd cone filter and still struggle with them clogging up so fast.

So looking at the other options and this was one that caught my eye. We average 100 gal/season, so was wondering about this filter vs. a small press. I assume that this method works well with clarity compared to the presses?
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

+ Reply to Thread