+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Injection

Default Air Injection

Hey all, I'm an engineering student as well as a maple sugaring addict. . .for my final class project, I have started to create a air injection system out of copper piping. I have some questions as to design, though. First off, is there a general consensus as to the overall effectiveness of air injection? Second, here is a link to a blower I'm looking at. . .should it work?
    https://www.thevacuumfactory.com/pro...otor-120-volt/
    Third, does a filter need to be placed on the blower to pre-clean the air? Fourth, is a 5/32" hole big enough or too big? And lastly, how many and how far apart should the holes be? Hope you guys can answer some of these questions!
    Jacob

I built an air injector a few years back. I used copper tubing to make the tubes that go into the pans and used copper pipe for manifolds. I used the smallest drill bit in my drill bit set to make the holes and the holes are 1" apart. I use a small shop vac for the air supply. Before I built the air injector I made nothing but dark syrup. Since I made the air injector I've made mostly Golden and Amber with some dark as well. You can check this thread to read about it. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...t=bubblemaster
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I built an air injection for my 2x6 pan last year. I did buy a wet vac to fit over a 5 gallon bucket. I built it with copper tubing. It worked well until I used it for birch sap. All my sap turned blue. After talking to Dr. Tim, I found out birch syrup has more acid in it. I ended up throwing out the whole batch. This year it'll be made from stainless steel. I would like to use a dimmer switch to control the amount of air injecting in the pan.
    2016- 32 taps, 3 1/2 gallons
    2017- 150 taps, 13 gallons after building an evaporator
    2018- goal is 240+ taps. 20+ gallons.
    2018 Reality- 235 taps, 5 gallons of syrup. Average 50 birch taps and 3 gallons of syrup.
    2019- 180 maple taps, 20 gallons of finished syrup.
    ~ 160 birch taps, 13 finished gallons of syrup.

Latitude 47.278150

www.facebook.com/livingoffmyland2015

+ Reply to Thread