+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Induction stove top?

Default Induction stove top?

Was curious if an induction heat element would help with limiting nitre when bottling?
    Heats the pot through magnetic coils instead of direct heat like gas or electric. Pot will still get hot but maybe in a different way?
    Thinking out loud I guess. Thoughts?

Interesting question. I don't think it will make a difference. Heat is still transferred to the syrup by conduction. The niter won't know how the heat was produced, so it won't react any differently.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

I was actually just thinking about getting a portable induction burner to use with the vacuum filter press that I made out of a stock pot that is induction compatible. I would run the syrup through the filter press as you normally would hot, but then have it on the induction burner to buy yourself some time in bottling.

I wonder if there is such thing as an induction evaporator? I do think that technology for cooking is cool.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by mol1jb View Post
    I wonder if there is such thing as an induction evaporator? I do think that technology for cooking is cool.

Induction cooktops need magnetic pans to work. Most stainless pots will not heat up. We have a cheap induction cooker that we use to keep our syrup warm as we mix in the DE and run it through the filter press. Since our pot for that purpose is stainless, we need to throw a steel plate on the induction hot plate to work. Kind of silly, but it works.

With respect to the original question, an induction heater is capable of very high temperature and could easily cause the local boiling that results in niter forming. After filtering, we use a water jacket bottler.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread