+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: am I in the wrong?

Are you sure it's the owner's idea or could it be your "Friend's" idea to need to get 50%?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Bobie
    It isn't clear from your description if the landowner actually had a realistic understanding of how much 50% would be. 100 taps might be 20-40 gallons of syrup in a modest to great year (with or without vacuum?). Assuming average year, no vac due to small amount of taps - say 25 gallons. Was he really thinking 12-13 gallons or was he off base on that as well? Yes, he was off base! Question is was he knowingly off base?

I am more-or-less inclined to agree with Sugarmaker, although I have gone to 2 gallons/100 taps when the trees are really good, or easy or a landowner also helps out at times or a strategic landowner to make something else come together. If he gathers it, it is somewhere between 1g/100 and the going rate of buying sap. If he gathers it and delivers it, its closer still to the going rate of buying sap. Full buying of sap delivered is close to 50% of the BULK value of the syrup when it shakes out, but then he supplies everything and that's still the BULK price per gallon which is 25-50% of the retail value of the syrup. Another way to consider it, lease rates are $1-$2/tap again depending on terms and vacuum, etc. $1/tap would be $100 or about 1.5-2 gallons, but that is you gathering and supplying everything, not him.

Whether you are talking 100 taps or 10,000, tapping agreements are about both parties being satisfied at the end of the day and it doesn't sound like that was going to happen. If he broke off the conversation after that, you should probably consider yourself lucky.
    A family of maple heads
    Father has over 15,000 taps
    Brother has 2,000 taps
    I'm just the help!!

Nice to know I’m not wrong on this. I’m sure the guy knows what 50% is. Starting to think he was trying to take advantage. Probably thought I’d go with it thinking I had no other options.
    I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the older gentleman as he was just happy to have someone tapping trees.
    Thanks to everyone for their input.
    So going forward a good rate should be:
    Dollar/tap or the equivalent in finished syrup
    Or buy sap (their taps/buckets) delivered for 25% finished syrup
    Last edited by bobie; 03-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobie View Post
    Nice to know I’m not wrong on this. I’m sure the guy knows what 50% is. Starting to think he was trying to take advantage. Probably thought I’d go with it thinking I had no other options.
    I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the older gentleman as he was just happy to have someone tapping trees.
    Thanks to everyone for their input.
    So going forward a good rate should be:
    Dollar/tap or the equivalent in finished syrup
    Or buy sap (their taps/buckets) delivered for 25% finished syrup
    I did not see, until this post, that you were dealing with the grandaughter's husband, and not the older gentleman. I think Dave may be correct that your "friend" may be getting greedy. Sounds like a bit of a free-loader to me. Maybe you need to have a talk with Grandpa?
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I really don’t feel like getting into any disputes with anyone. So I’m just going to avoid talking about it. I do randomly run into the older gentleman. So I’m sure it will come up at some point. For now I’ve been asking around my area and online for some property to get into. Hope I find something. Looks like Sunday may be the start of the season here (eastern Ontario just west of Ottawa)
    Cutting things a little close!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12