+ Reply to Thread

Thread: surflow 115ac questions help!

Default surflow 115ac questions help!

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Got the bug real bad last year when I did 25taps and managed to make 20litres of syrup on a small stove and 16x16 propane burner.

Either way, I got some surflo 4008 pumps with 115v ac. No plugs on them which I was expecting. And its suggesting slow blow fuses?.

I can wire them just fine to some sort of plug wire kit. But a slow blow fuse? Never even heard of it. I was figuring I could just put an inline fuse holder with a 1.5amp ato.

Please chime in and help me out here.

Note: I'm going to be using one as a vacuume assist to my 3/16 gravity lines, and the other as a pump to move sap from my holding tank through a filter and uv system in my sugar shack

Thanks!

Just use a fuse rated at 3x the spec amps on the tag. Slow blow are available, but cost more. A slow blow will just take longer to blow, just as a slightly larger fuse will. 3x is fine and round to the next full amp rating if necessary.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank you for the quick reply. I see there are alot of people just wiring them direct without the fuse with no issues. But I'd rather protect my purchase. I'll go with an inline ato fuse. And we what I can find. Start with a 3. If it blows move to a 5 since I dont think they make a 4 or 4.5.

Thanks again.

I don't think a fuse really protects the equipment. It is mainly to protect the wiring. I don't know what size leads you have coming off the pump, but I suspect it's 18 ga or larger, which would mean even a 10A fuse would be fine, provided you aren't trying to feed it with a 24 ga wire.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

+ Reply to Thread